Breed opinions please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cpwhip, Jul 25, 2011.

1. cpwhip

cpwhip Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    Ok, I'm new to chicken keeping right now I have 8 RSL and love 'em my question is I would like to have a variety
    of hens but I want to only keep easily handled and friendly types in your opinions what would be some good choices to
    add to my flock? I would like to add the new chicks in before my RSL are grown would that be a good time to add them?
    my RSL's are 7 weeks old. so far I've been considering Plymouth rock or Barred rock but I'm not sure? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  2. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    no one?

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My friendliest hens are my Buff Orpingtons, of the four breeds I have. They haven't started to lay yet, so I can't speak to that, but I hear they're god layers once they get going.

4. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I love my Golden Comets (Gold Sex Link) they are only 6 weeks old but are beautiful, active, and have great personalities! They are also promised to be great layers and can easily be trained to be very friendly birds.

5. coldupnorth

coldupnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    N. MN
    The friendliest chickens we have are our Buff Orpingtons - our EE mixes are pretty friendly too (they were handled alot as chicks). Hope you find the kind you like [​IMG]

6. coyote826

coyote826 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Flagler County, FL
    I have had a barred rock, Speckled Sussex, red star, leg horn, and americauna. My speckled Sussex is the easiest to handle and most talkative. I pick her up all of the time. My red star is the best layer with a very assertive personality. My leg horn is only 2 months old but she has been a joy so far. The americauna is not very personable but extremely beautiful. Unfortunately I lost my barred rock 2 months ago from injuries sustained by a snake. She was active, a good layer with lots of personality.

My prize bird is my "designer" banty rooster. He follows me every where, talks to me and roosts on my lap.

7. cpwhip

Jun 22, 2011
    Maryland
    well it looks like I have a lot to consider, I'm not too worried about egg production because I think with the
    8 red star I have I will have more than enough eggs:) my main concern was mixing different breeds and having them get along
    and having some variety in my flock that I can enjoy watching as well as interacting with them.
    I love the beauty of a rooster but I'm not sure about the noice.[​IMG]

8. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    I would recommend easter eggers. [​IMG] They are really friendly and great layers. They come in all sorts of colors, too, so there is an easter egger for everyone. People love to buy my easter eggers' blue eggs! [​IMG] It is always really fun to see what I have waiting in the nesting boxes!

Edited to say: my picture is of one of my all time favorite easter eggers [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by