Breed Options?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by little_grey_bantam, Jan 20, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    I was combing through a few breeds and thinking about some new breeds to get...

Does anyone know much about Black Marans? Barnevelders? Chantecler? Red Sussex? Penedescenca?

And I just found someone who has Iowa Blues and Brabanters as well as Jaerhon and Rumpies.

I am wanting some more Wyandottes and planning on purchasing more (since my BLRW turned out to be ALL roosters); but wanting new colors. What do you think about Blue Wyandottes? Chocolate?

Just wanted to know your thoughts. And pictures if you have any of these guys [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My wyandottes are some of my favorites. I've got BLR, BBS and SL wyandottes.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I have some Black Marans. I should be selling eggs in the spring. [​IMG] I have found them to be some of the hardiest birds I have ever raised. They never seem to have any problems.
    Penedesencas can be gotten from eggbid. A lady their named cowgirl75446 is really good. I do not know anything about Penedesencas.
    There is a whole thread on Barnevelders found here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=129430&p=1
    I
    have Jaerhorns and love them.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
  5. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    Quote:Since you mentioned the Red Sussex, I thought I'd suggest Speckled Sussex, which are one of my favorite breeds. They are an absolutely BEAUTIFUL bird, with a red base and white, brown, and black speckles throughout their entire body. They are a large bird, that lays big brown eggs, are docile, and very hardy. They are definitely going to be on my order form from the hatchery this spring.

Therese

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by