Breed or Gender of Class Project Chickens?

NewChickMomma22

Hatching
May 11, 2015

As a 5th grade teacher, we incubated eggs. Only 4 hatched and of the 4, only 3 survived. The eggs were donated to me. I was told they consisted of Silkies, Orpingtons, and Rhode Island Reds.
Can anyone confirm the breeds? I believe the brown one is a Silkie. I originally thought she was a Rhode Island Red, but she has feathers down to her toes now. Also, is there any way for an unprofessional to tell if they are female or male?

Thank you!

As a 5th grade teacher, we incubated eggs. Only 4 hatched and of the 4, only 3 survived. The eggs were donated to me. I was told they consisted of Silkies, Orpingtons, and Rhode Island Reds.
Can anyone confirm the breeds? I believe the brown one is a Silkie. I originally thought she was a Rhode Island Red, but she has feathers down to her toes now. Also, is there any way for an unprofessional to tell if they are female or male?

Thank you!

No, you have at least two crossbreeds here. The one with the poufy head may be a Silkie cross but it has normal feathers, not Silkie type feathers. The red one is definitely not a Silkie, but probably a RIR cross because it has feathered legs, IF what they told you is partially true. Couldn't say for sure on the middle one because none seem to be pure.

Silkies have black skin and are like fluffy feather dusters, not normal wing feathers. So, they do seem to be crosses. The red one has yellow skin, but with feathered legs, could have Silkie in there.

Last edited:
No, you have at least two crossbreeds here. The one with the poufy head may be a Silkie cross but it has normal feathers, not Silkie type feathers. The red one is definitely not a Silkie, but probably a RIR cross because it has feathered legs, IF what they told you is partially true. Couldn't say for sure on the middle one because none seem to be pure.

Silkies have black skin and are like fluffy feather dusters, not normal wing feathers. So, they do seem to be crosses. The red one has yellow skin, but with feathered legs, could have Silkie in there.
Agreed.

Agreed.

x3

Back
Top Bottom