breed picking time again

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sixofus09, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sixofus09

sixofus09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    New Hampshire
    So I lost a lot of birds and gained some......and lost again:rolleyes: Now its time to get somemore:D My choices are golden comets, buff orphingtons, speckled sussex, ameraucana, and rhode island reds. So far i have 2 2 week old sultans, 1 mixed roo, 1 speckled sussex roo, 3 buff orphington pullets,and 1 silver laced wyandotte. Im just looking for eggs and for the birds to live through the New Hampshire winters. Im thinging the goldencomets and ameraucanas . Ive had the ameraucanas. They looked really nice and the egg color everyone seems to enjoy. I dont plan on selling pure breeds. If I get some chicks I wont complain. I kinda like the mixed breeds too. Im hoping one of my sultans is a male. I just hope not both. The breeder I get them from doesnt have them often and they go quick. The birds are 6 - 8 weeks. Mine range from 14 to 10 weeks. The sultans are almost 2 weeks. Their heads are starting to get their head pieces.... its so funny. Oh well just wanted to toss that up in the air.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Well, you've got lots of breeds in mind [​IMG] I'd pick between the goldencomets, ameuracanas and the RIR. I think you've got some pretty good breed options, but I've only heard of goldencomets, never really had one. If it it was up to me Id get all of em, but I can't so I'd probably go for the RIR, wellGood Luck [​IMG]

PS: I kind of noticed your smilie faces came out words, so to make them faces you have to put a space before and after the smilie face word.

3. sixofus09

sixofus09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I cant wait to get them all in am [​IMG] ....well later in the am. Ill have to see how they all look. Is there anything that I should really be looking for besides mites and lice. Like the toes, legs, or something. Ive never had a problem with this lady and her farm. I just would like to know what people look for. Do they grab the biggest? Go for the color if you can? Just asking. Im really interested in the golden comets. I think thats the only one besides the rir that I havent had that she raises. Its always so tempting when I got there [​IMG] I always bring the wife and kids.... and lets just say she always reminds me of all the other animals for sale. Looks like Ill have to clear out a few acres before next spring [​IMG] My wife keeps talking about pigs... and all I say is I will only feed them apples [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by