Breed poll - I can only add one more layer this year... which one?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by foxinachickenhouse, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Delaware

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Easter Egger

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Welsummer

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Barnevelder

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Olive Egger - Welsummer/Americauna

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Purebred Americauna

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    My current flock is listed in my signature line.
    I am already keeping another silkie chick and they will both be raised (with other silkie chicks to be sold) by my constantly broody silkie hen who is a great momma.
    It would be nice to have some more color in the egg basket, a good disposition, and a hen that doesn't completely turn off in the winter like my current easter egger does.

The poll list is in the order of how I have been leaning.

Thanks for participating. Feel free to give reasons why you like the breed you picked. All of the breeds listed are new to me except easter egger.

2. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    I would never add just one bird. Past experiences trying to add only one bird did not go well.

3. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree. The others will be silkies. I'm just adding one more standard size layer. I let my silkie raise a brood, keep a couple and sell the rest. This year it'll be one from the above list and a silkie. Last year it was a RIR and Sussex.

Still no votes? It would be great to get some input I'm really on the fence and unfamiliar with these breeds.

Edited to add that I just noticed there are some votes. New to this poll thingy...Thanks for participating!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by