Breed Question: White Leghorns??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cheeps, Jan 4, 2009.

1. cheeps

cheeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I met someone who has a few leghorn chicks for sale. I currently have 4 RIR's but we are wanting to expand our flock with a few different breeds.

What experience have ya'll had with White Leghorns? I've read on a few different sites that they can be unfriendly. Our chickens are pets and I wouldn't want some that didn't like to be handled.

He also has some brown leghorns. Is one variety better than the other? I just wanted an opinion from someone who has had experience with the breed.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have Brown Leghorns. they are not cuddly, but they aren't psychotic.

that being said, i am not a big snuggler of chickens. some are more approachable than others.

no matter what, every chicken has it's own 'AO'. (Area of Operation!) like us humanoids, we all have our own personal space limits, like of touch, handling issues etc.

they are uber layers as a breed goes.

3. cheeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I heard that the white leghorns are better layers than the brown? How well do your browns lay?

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    my browns are just getting ready to lay...they are 20 weeks in a few days.

many of the whites are bred for commercial laying, so they may have an advantage. i have 30 eggs in the bator from commercial lines and cannot wait to see what happens.

here's a link to the thread...there are pics of the ginormous eggs...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=117668

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Turn 5 whites an 5 browns lose at the first of the year an odds are you will only have 5 browns by fall. Whites lay a little better on average but they scream "hawk bate." There jumpy or flighty, not mean or unfriendly.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Until chicken menopause, then the whites turn into attacking roosters!

7. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

bluedog420 has white leghorns, you should PM him and ask about them.

He has them in an open topped pen, access to the coop.

meri

8. cheeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
  9. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    The breeder I buy hatching eggs off of has SEVERAL white leghorn hens, they are very pleasant and curious. I guess it just dependson what lines you get. Her pen is opened topped, they only flew out while they were youngsters now that they are older and lay theres no problem with that.

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have 5 McMurray white leghorns, and 1 McMurray brown leghorn. My brown is VERY shy and flighty. She's beautiful, though.

My whites, on the other hand, are wonderful, curious, and rather friendly. They follow me around the yard with all the rest of the chicken and cat crew. I love my white leghorns. I've handled them all since day one, even the brown, and the whites are much nicer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by