Breed question with pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by harryg6167, Jul 24, 2010.

1. harryg6167

harryg6167 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Kentwood
    I had went to two different people to buy eggs to hatch. The man I bought eggs from had
    pure bred cuckoo marans roosters and hens all kept in a pen so there was no chance a rooster had
    strayed to his place and bred his hens.
    The lady I went and bought eggs from had pure bred barred rocks also kept in a large run and coop
    to where nothing could get in or out.
    I have hatched eggs from this lady several times in the past year with great results but the one
    thing that has me stumped is that from both the man and the ladies eggs I have hatched out
    a few solid white chicks each time that I have hatched. Some would be snow white and
    then some may be white with 1 big black spot on them and some you could barely see a hint of black.
    Well actually it would be more of a smokey color like the chick had gotten dirty.
    Any thoughts as to where the solid white is coming from these barred chicken eggs?
    Here is pictures showing two of the youn birds.
    Thanks in advance for any replies to this question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Legs are white .This meens recesive(sp) white is poping up from Cuckoo Marans.That is way of creating White Marans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by