Breed Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chancho, Feb 20, 2013.

1. chancho

chancho New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    I just hatched a few chicks the other day from a baynyard mix and was wanting to see if anyone might know what these chick are.

Quote: From the Craigslist ad List of "momma" hens: Rhode Island Red; Brahma; Delaware; Red Star Sex-link; Silver-lace Wyandotte; Golden-lace Wyandotte; Blue-lace Red Wyandotte; Old English Game Bantam; Barred-Rock; French Black Copper Marans; Cuckoo Marans; Black Austrolorp; Speckled Susex; Buff Orpington; Ameraucanas.

[​IMG]
    Dark Brown Egg

[​IMG]
    Brown Egg

[​IMG]
    Brown egg

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Do you know what of the 8 colors the Ameraucana are?

I can't really tell right now, but the egg color should give you at least a start of what they are - it narrows down their mother.

Dark brown egg is probably one of the marans.

Light brown egg could have been any of the others, almost.

They're cute chickies!

3. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Chancho and [​IMG]

You may be able to eliminate some of the breeds based on the comb type and leg color.

I agree with golfinches about the egg color indicating Marans for the first one and the others are all brown egg layers except for maybe the Ameraucana (not sure if she's really an Ameraucana or Easter Egger).

If you can get better pictures of the chicks combs, we might be able to tell if they are straight, rose, pea or a hybrid comb. That will help with parentage. White legs are a dominant trait so if a chick has white legs then it has to have the Marans, Orpington, Sussex or maybe Australorp as one of the parents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by