Breed question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kkwinwy, Mar 19, 2015.

1. kkwinwy

kkwinwy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Are these chicks the same breed??? They are both supposed to be Black Copper Marans. Both from a very dark brown egg. But the coloring is quite different. The pics i googled looked more like the black and yellow chick. Thank you!

2. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    It is hard to tell. I have some chicks that look like that, but they are not even close to Marans. Did you hatch them yourself or order them from a hatchery?

3. TheChickGirl01

TheChickGirl01 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    the top on looks like a black star... but I am not sure

4. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    I purchased these on ebay from a breeder. They have lots of good feedback. I was just surprised that they look so different. Eggs were very close in color.

5. Rooster14250

Mar 19, 2015
    The hens might have been all Marans, but a different breed of rooster could have accidentally fertilized the eggs. I guess the only way to tell is for them to grow up.[​IMG]

6. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    Hmmm wonder if that's a possibility... Here are the two eggs they hatched from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Rooster14250

Mar 19, 2015
    They are Maran eggs, and the chicks could also be pure Maran even though they have different coloring. I'm not too familiar with Marans, but I know other breeds can have completely different colorings when they are chicks. I had an EE chick that looked nothing like the rest, but she turned out to be pure when she grew up. I hope they turn out to be Marans![​IMG]

8. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Hi, I just had 4 Black Copper Maran eggs hatch from eggs I had shipped from a breeder.
    I am glad you asked that question because I have two that are colored just like your two, and
    I wondered about them, also! I trust the breeder/shipper and they eggs were dark that they
    hatched from. I think we just have to be patient and learn as they grow. Keep us posted.

9. kkwinwy

Jan 26, 2015
    Great to hear! Yes, let's keep in touch and see how they grow out. :) I've decided that I think the one with the gold on him is definitely a rooster. He cheeps loudly non-stop! Such a little complainer! I'll be interested to see if that's right too. :)

10. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    That is an interesting observation. I will watch closely and see if that happens to be the case in my situation.
    Mine just hatched yesterday, but I will try and get pictures for you later today. They have been hanging out
    under the brooder a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by