1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breed questions and advice....flying problem, too........

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlsessed, Jan 17, 2013.

1. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Okay, I've had ducks before, four rouens. But after a dog attack that killed and maimed some, I sold the rest. Now I want more. I really wanted bantam ducks, but then changed my mind because people said they would fly away, but others have scovies that fly and don't have problems loosing their birds. I suppose the bantam ducks can fly much better, though. My question is, should I really be concerned about this? If so..... what breeds are light weight, broody, excellent foragers and TAME (comes with handling, I know, but does indeed differ among different breeds).
    Thanks,

2. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    There is always the chance of your duck flying away, but my Mallards stuck around. It's something you should be aware of, but I've never heard anyone complain about it.
    I think Khaki's cover what you are looking for, too.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Khaki Campbells are fantastic layers and foragers. I have two Welsh Harlequins (a pair) and they are great. Quiet, calm, beautiful, cannot fly away, docile and the ducks will sit on eggs. They also are great layers! Very prolific. If you cross a Khaki with a Harlequin you get a Golden (monster layers!)

4. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, if i don't end up getting my bantams, welsh harlequins it is! I'll see. Thanks again. Good to know about those mallards. And I suppose I could always clip a wing.

5. Nebraskagirl

Nebraskagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    I have a friend who has Mallards and they do fly, but they always stick close to the house and they return. Just something for you to think about. You will not be disappointed with Harlequins. LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!

6. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Thanks for the input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by