1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breed questions!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CampineBuddy, Mar 3, 2008.

1. CampineBuddy

CampineBuddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    Are buff orpington bantams a standard breed? Are red cochins a standard breed? Are buff seabrights a standard breed?

I know I sound like a robot but I'm just curious!

Carmen.[​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Standard is normally used instead of saying Large Fowl (LF) so a bantam would not be a standard breed.

APA or ABA "standard" is the other place this is commonly used used.

For ABA only the first is. I have an old ABA standard so some one correct this if I am in error.

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I guess it depends on what you mean by standard.
    Standard typically means its a large fowl, so anything bantam can't be a standard.

4. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

how can it be? how can it be that there are ANY pure breed chickens in the world anywhere? This sounds amazing to me. Is there a master chicken farm somewhere that has a pure breed chicken breeding .. alone with no other roos anywhere around? how could this be?

compare to America.. who is "pure breed". How can there be a Pure breed? who is totally american.. totally chinese.. totally korean? I dont think it could be done with humans mu ch less chickens.

5. CampineBuddy

CampineBuddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    What I meant was if they were all admitted to the standard of perfection?

Sorry for the confusion!

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] ooooooookay....

ANYWAY! Campine, I'm pretty sure they all are, but you'll have to ask someone who has the standard of perfection who can double check for you! [​IMG] If you can find the breeds websites, they usually have it listed on there as well as reference.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:My sentiments exaclty...

8. jdypat

jdypat Chillin' With My Peeps

this was just one of those flip off the wall thoughts that come to me regularly that sometimes get mistaken for a real attempt at thinking..

seriously how can we find a chicken who is of a breed and not a mixed or whatever.. like a japanese that has all his ancestors of the japanese race.?????
    coulld chicken hatching be so controlled tht we would have a chicken of a certain raace? breed?
    this is not referring to anyone or anything or any post.. just one of those strolling off into left field that my mind does often.. judy

9. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    All our chickens came from a common ancestry.

For a breed to be considered "pure" It needs to fit a specific look (APA standard etc) and breed true to type. That is the short answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by