Breed recomendations for Southern Oregon Climate

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by OR4-hmom, Mar 26, 2012.

1. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I would like to get some SOP or Heritage birds that I can raise out and sell chicks to our 4-H kids. They do well with the harchery chicks but, they don't look like the pictures in the books. They are "Utility" birds, nothing wrong with that, they do what they were breed to do.

I'm trying to figure out what I should be looking for.

We have a week in the winter where our daytime high will be about 28 and our summer temps get into the 100s.

It's Oregon, so we will have a month of daily rain, so feather footed breeds are to hard to keep, I really love my Brahmas though. I haven't had any problems with frost bite on the single combs but others in the area have.

Would like them to be a dual purpose bird so I can get rid of the excess boys. I was looking at Partridge Chanteclers but not to many around.

White birds do not work for me either, to visable to the preditors. You name it, we have it, fox, racoon, opposum, skunk, bobcats, hawks, eagles, rattlesnakes, bears, mountain lions.

If it was easy everyone would do it, right?

Janet

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I would think that in Grant's Pass you wouldn't ever have any weather too severe for any breed of chicken. Just pick the one you like the most and get that one.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Hey neighbor!
    Have you checked on craigslist? I've seen someone advertising blrw and I think Marans, maybe up in the Merlin area. I think the Marans were advertised as Jean Wade lines? I'm not a Marans person so didn't really pay attention.Someone around here has quality Favorelles, and I saw once an ad for breeder quality Mincoras. Now, I haven't noticed any of these recently, mostly last fall-ish, but they're around.

I've never had frostbite, even on my leghorns. Even when I lived in Sprague River--it was MUCH colder there.

Our climate can handle any breed. I do have a problem with the bantam cochins's feet getting nasty, but I keep them mostly for brooding, not showing. I just keep their pen as dry as I can.

You could always put a sign up at the Grange or post on craigslist, looking for heritage/breeder quality birds. Especially if you're not sold on a specific breed. Or, shipped hatching eggs are an option for a lot of folks.

Good luck!

5. OR4-hmom

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I'll try posting at the Grange. I'm not familiar with some of those breeds so it's time to drag out the book again. I just don't want to get more "utility" birds, 73 is enough.

Our fair judge is really hoping that our kids will get birds closeser to the Standard.

6. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Your climate sounds a lot like mine. People around here keep just about every breed but the Mediteranians pretty easily.
    For heritage breeds I would suggest Wellsumers, Barnevelders, or Speckled Sussex; all of which are uncommon, are old and established breeds, have good personalities, do well when confined and forage well, and are not only pretty, their coloration helps them hide from predators. Incidentally, the Kellogs rooster is a Wellsumer.
    I also found this post on My Pet Chicken's blog, about the best breed to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. It's a fun read, and they make some good points bout climate tolerance, foraging, coloration, etc. They chose the Wellsumer, btw.

7. OR4-hmom

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I've got Speckled Sussex's now, my least farovite, eggs on the small side, not even really brown. Lost one to a prolapsed crop. Also hard to get the correct patterns on the feathering.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, there are lots of good poultry breeders in Oregon. You might check the Oregon thread in "Where am I Where are you? (here on BYC) There is an index to find your state as a sticky at the top.

Also, there is an Oregon discussion in the swaps and meet-ups forum (here on BYC) concerning the spring swap that is May 5. Several people from Southern Oregon post.

There will be another swap in Corvallis in the fall and everyone switches over and starts posting in that thread as soon as it is opened.

There's a good show breeder in Sisters, but that is probably too far for you to drive just for birds I drive like that, but most folks won't. But if you are coming to Central Oregon anytime soon, I will put you in touch with her.

9. SkyeSchazade

SkyeSchazade Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Mulino, OR
    I have had a lot of success with Ameraucanas and Orpingtons in this climate, Marans too. Those are the ones that don't seem to be bothered by the colder weather at all, and are smart enough to seek out shady cool places in summer. There seems to be lots of good breeders in my region. I would also suggest coming up to the swap in May if you can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by