Breed Recomendations?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ivytalon, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Ivytalon

Ivytalon Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2012
    I have a RIR Production Roo and two Barred Rock hens that have a giant coup to themselves (It holds like 20 chickens).
    I'm looking for suggestions, stories, and ideas about breeds that could work with them in their size range. I don't plan on breeding them so it doesn't matter if they match up. I'm looking for cold and hot hardy birds that will have a great egg production.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I will always uphold the Langshan!

Very large birds that produce well. They have lightly feathered feet and shanks that are not heavy enough to be compounded by snow or ice. They are able to stand up to anything, but are not mean to other birds. They are fairly calm and will have a nice carcass when ready for processing.

They are a slow-growing breed. Many of my hens have gone broody and make excellent mothers.

If you are up in PA, I've got some hens I'm ready to part with! ;)

3. Ivytalon

Aug 12, 2012
    That would be a long ride haha. It sounds like a pretty cool breed though. [​IMG]

4. Joe Jordan

Joe Jordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Look into the Americana breed. They're both cold and hot hardy birds that will give you beautiful eggs consistently.

5. Ivytalon

Aug 12, 2012
    I have 2 mainly Americana's (if that makes sence). My Roo chases them because they are smaller >.>

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by