Breed recommendation, please

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cposz, Nov 9, 2009.

1. cposz

cposz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    I need a hen that will lay some white eggs (the bigger, the better!) and which are heavy enough to do well in a MN winter. I don't want leghorns, but I am wondering if any one has suggestions. (we currently have 2 RSL and 2 BO)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
  3. wombat

wombat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Hamburgs might be your best bet if you've got to have white eggs. A lot of the white egg layers are mediterranean breeds.

4. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    wow! I went through that chart, and it seems like if they lay white eggs they're either small, or the ones that lay large eggs either are aggresive, or avoids human contact, etc.... It makes me wonder why the majoriety of the store bought eggs are white! I'd like to have a few white egg layers too, might be a little hard to find a good match for my flock and children though.

5. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    What a helpful chart - I've just looked through it fairly thoroughly and see my options are actually sort of limited. The Hamburgh might be the best option, though it tolerates close confinement less well than the ones I have. And at night, they're fairly close ...

Suppose the other option would be to keep buying white eggs at the co-op ...

6. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    I wouldn't recommend the Hamburgs. I have some and at 23 weeks they still haven't laid. Very loud, skittish and annoying. I would imagine the eggs will be very small too.

I know you aren't interested in leghorns, but I highly recommend them. Mine lay a decent size egg every day! I'm am very happy with them. Get the Light Brown Leghorn, I find they are also nice looking birds. Sorry, it's the only white layer I can recommend. [​IMG]

7. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    I think the majority are white because they come from Leghorns - the official "egg-laying machines."
    :)

8. cposz

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    TipsyDog - I know some who have had trouble with agressiveness iwth their white leghorns, especially in mixed company (with other breeds). Have you experienced this? Our flock is very small, but VERY peaceful. Just 4 busy, friendly, quiet girls ...

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    What about a cream color/light brown egg from a turken? Everyone I've talked to that has turkens loves them, after you get past the neck thing.

10. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:With our first flock of 3, we had two GLWs and a Leghorn. Seemed to be at the bottom of the pecking order...poor thing. Not too loud, but maybe just her? Trying my luck with a bantam one this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by