Breed recommendations?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sydney13, Mar 11, 2011.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I'm going to place an order with ideal poultry to get a gosling and some chicks come May. They basically only have Toulouse, roman, Chinese and Africans available. I'm not interested in the Africans or chinese because I'm looking for a quieter breed such as the romAn and Toulouse. I have a female Toulouse now and she is a great bird, not very loud and very affectionate. I like the idea of getting another Toulouse so that I could one day let them hatch a few eggs and have some more Toulouse goslings.
    On the other hand, I really would love a roman. The Romans seem like they are supposed to be one of the quietest and most friendliest breeds. I also love the way they look with their tufted heads. Do you think a little roman gander could successfully breed with a Toulouse?
    So I'm torn between getting another Toulouse or a roman, which do you suggest I go with?
    I'm also wondering how much louder you find your ganders to be compared to your geese? Are they much louder or only a bit louder?

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Maybe with water a Roman could mate a Toulouse, on dry land their legs are just too short! My Romans were fairly quiet but they were too skidish to be friendly. I have no idea is this is typical of the breed or not, just a report on the ones I had. BTW don't wait till May to order goslings they are likely to sell out. Order what you want now in hope of having them delivered in May. June is late in the season for geese.

3. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    What if you got a male toulouse and a female roman?

4. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:I wasn't very clear when I wrote this but I actually already have a female Toulouse and wanted to get her a mate. If I were to do it over again I do think I would have done it the way you said [​IMG]

5. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Songster

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:I wasn't very clear when I wrote this but I actually already have a female Toulouse and wanted to get her a mate. If I were to do it over again I do think I would have done it the way you said [​IMG]

You can still add a roman female and have a trio

6. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts

You can still add a roman female and have a trio

I would love to have a trio, but two geese would be the maximum noise level the neighbors could take [​IMG]

7. arherp

arherp Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    I have kept Africans and Toulouse, and honestly, Africans were quieter than the toulouse. They are not nearly as bad as the hatcheries crack them up to be. I have one that comes up in the field and wants me to pick it up and hold it.. adorable birds!

8. sydney13

sydney13 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Quote:That's interesting I've always assumed all Africans were always extremely noisy.
    I'm curious if anyone else finds this true with their africans?

9. arherp

arherp Songster

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Also, by the way.. most hatchery "Africans" are simply oversized Chinese. Though I haven't had all that many of those, they still werent as harsh sounding as the Toulouse. The true Africans are the stuff that you can get from Holderread's and exhibitors. They dont have to be show birds, obviously, but those are about the only people that maintain true "Africans". The hatchery "Super African" is a little closer to the true African geese, but, alas, they are hatchery production birds and still have some chinese traits in them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: