Breed? Rooster or Hen?

Clyde1786

Hatching
Mar 12, 2018
Hi everyone,
Bought this “point of lay hen” about 6 weeks ago. I’ve been asking her if she’s really a hen these last couple of weeks because she is soooo much bigger than the hens. The last 3 days we have heard it crowing a perfect rooster crow....it’s a rooster isn’t it? Also if anyone can fill me in on what breed it may be?

Attachments

• FD2759C8-98A3-4E36-9935-258CCF21E2F3.jpeg
    FD2759C8-98A3-4E36-9935-258CCF21E2F3.jpeg
    763.7 KB · Views: 17
Hi everyone,
Bought this “point of lay hen” about 6 weeks ago. I’ve been asking her if she’s really a hen these last couple of weeks because she is soooo much bigger than the hens. The last 3 days we have heard it crowing a perfect rooster crow....it’s a rooster isn’t it? Also if anyone can fill me in on what breed it may be?
Yep, definitely a mixed breed cockerel. It's hard to say what his exact parentage is but I would guess there's some Houdan in there maybe mixed with Brahma and Wyandotte. But who knows? He's attractive, though, and if he's well behaved it might be worth keepng him around.

Yep, definitely a mixed breed cockerel. It's hard to say what his exact parentage is but I would guess there's some Houdan in there maybe mixed with Brahma and Wyandotte. But who knows? He's attractive, though, and if he's well behaved it might be worth keepng him around.
Yeh, very good looking that’s for sure! He’s still a bit skittish around the other older hens and hasn’t made a move yet. But oh man, he’s so good at getting out of the pen lol. He just jumps straight up on the fence and over he goes, likes jumping up on the back table too. We don’t mind though, just have to keep an eye on the labs (Burt and Ernie).

Yeh, very good looking that’s for sure! He’s still a bit skittish around the other older hens and hasn’t made a move yet. But oh man, he’s so good at getting out of the pen lol. He just jumps straight up on the fence and over he goes, likes jumping up on the back table too. We don’t mind though, just have to keep an eye on the labs (Burt and Ernie).
Rooster are pretty crafty about escaping when they're young especially. He'll probably put on some weight as he ages and won't have such an easy time of it in the future. It's a good sign that he's skittish around the hens, now. They aren't going to accept him as a mating partner until he's older and meets their standards.

Rooster are pretty crafty about escaping when they're young especially. He'll probably put on some weight as he ages and won't have such an easy time of it in the future. It's a good sign that he's skittish around the hens, now. They aren't going to accept him as a mating partner until he's older and meets their standards.
Any possible idea on when his spurs might come in and when he might start making a move on the ladies? Sorry, I haven’t done this since I was a kid....and that was Mum doing it lol

Spurs take a while, so probably within the next few months they will start growing but there's no telling how large they will end up being as it takes time and size varies with breed and individual. He probably already has made subtle moves on the ladies, but he's immature still, so he probably won't challenge them for a couple more months. At least that's my guess but mother nature may have other ideas.

Spurs will probably not develop until he is a year old. He will start mating when he has gained enough confidence. It could be tomorrow or 3 months time.... probably sooner rather than later though. If you have older hens rather than pullets, it may take him longer as they will put him in his place until he is confident enough to be assertive with them, whereas if you have young pullets he will find them easier to dominate. The fact that he has started crowing suggests that his confidence is growing. I agree that he is a mixed breed, possibly silkie cross with that walnut comb and feathered shanks and long neck and crest and I think I see a 5th toe??

Last edited:
Spurs will probably not develop until he is a year old. He will start mating when he has gained enough confidence. It could be tomorrow or 3 months time.... probably sooner rather than later though. If you have older hens rather than pullets, it may take him longer as they will put him in his place until he is confident enough to be assertive with them, whereas if you have young pullets he will find them easier to dominate. The fact that he has started crowing suggests that his confidence is growing. I agree that he is a mixed breed, possibly silkie cross with that walnut comb and feathered shanks and long neck and crest and I think I see a 5th toe??
Yes there is a 5th toe....what does that mean?

Back
Top Bottom