1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

breed selection

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by birdylou, Aug 11, 2011.

1. birdylou

birdylou New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    I am kinda new to the back yard chicken hobby. Can someone tell me if it is ok to put barred rocks, and sexlinks with buff orpingtons. Also, do orpingtons make a lot of noise for a back yard hobbits? Thanks so much!!!! [​IMG]

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    yes they all get along and no they don't make a lot of noise as long as they aren't a rooster.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Mixing breeds of chickens is no big deal: the chickens can't tell the difference.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    My rocks are very quiet and calm and sweet -like little puppy dogs. The only time they make noise is when they lay and when its treat time! I hear orpingtons are wonderful as well tho i dont have any

5. birdylou

birdylou New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for the help. Seems like there is sooooo much info out there, it gets confusing. I will be purchasing them at the same time and as babies so I figured they wouldn't know the difference. Are sex links ok too?

6. mpare

mpare Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    I think all chickens have individual characteristics and I am sure some Buffs are quiet. My Buff Orpington is VERY loud. Roxanne starts squawking to be allowed out to free range as soon as we pull into the driveway. She even "argues" back when we tell her we can't let her out just now. Her egg song is extremely loud. We joke she thinks she is a chicken opera singer. My son can hear her from the bus stop 1/4 mile away.

However, she is my sweetest chicken, follows me around and has the most personality of all my birds. She struts around the back yard as if she is a little general and charges squirrels and song birds that happen to be in "her" territory. I will take the noise in exchange for all the enjoyment she brings. Have fun.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The two buff orps I've had, were very quiet.... I had some Barred Rocks from McMurray that were SHE DEVIL'S and very noisy... but a couple from Cackle and some heritage BR roos that are quiet, majestic birds. All of my Sex links have been wonderful, I love Black sex links as they are EGG LAYING machines....

8. birdylou

birdylou New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Well, the good news is that I will be waiting til spring, the bad news is that I have to wait til spring. Until then, I will probably change my mind at least 100 times and drive my husband crazy. I guess this is pay back for all his fishing stories I have had to listen to over the years!!! I love the look of the sex links. Today I am thinking 2 sex links, 2 barred rocks, and 2 buff orpingtons!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by