breed selector?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kari_dawn, Nov 5, 2009.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    So, this will be my second thread on this forum, so again, I appologise if this is not where this topic should go, but recently, I lost two of my three girls, and for the last one, built a (hopefully) sturdy run for her out of a re-purposed dog run. (you guys gave some good advice [​IMG] )

I do not want Waffle to be alone for too long, so I am researching breeds. I have always liked the heavy breeds, and I love brown eggs. I was thinking about an astralorp, a jersey giant, a cochin, buff orpington, or maybe a brama. Good choices? Bad choices? any other suggestions? How many chickens do you think my run can handle? I still let Waffle out durring the day for a bit.

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    cochins arnt the best of layers australorps, buff orps, barred rocks brahmas and i have no clue about jersey giants but those i named are really great

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I really like my BA and BO hens. Both breeds are known to go broody though so you might be better off with one of the others.

4. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    I have a BA... she's nice, lays well, doesnt cuddle though.

I also have an ISA Brown... she started laying at 14weeks and is VERY cuddly. I love my ISA [​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Delawares are BIG girls... the jury is still out on them for egg production. Both hatched on March 20th... no eggs yet.

6. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I love the Brahmas. My cochins just about stopped laying at the first sign of cool weather but the Brahmas are still going strong. They are big, beautiful, friendly and they lay nice sized light brown eggs:lol:

7. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Yes, I say brahmas or orpingtons. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

8. rocmoc

rocmoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Barred Rocks, rock! Kind, good with the weather and great layers. If you want a meat bird, White Rocks, rock. Can't go wrong if you are Rockin![​IMG]

rocmoc n AZ

9. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    I love our orpingtons. [​IMG]

10. Hippie Chick in PA

Hippie Chick in PA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Brahmas and Sussexs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by