breed/sex help I am totally clueless.

I must be crazy

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
vermont
You'll have to have patience as I try and figure all this stuff out. I am as new to web stuff as I am to chickens!! Pictures are not that good but you can kinda see I hope. (I can't seem to get them to stay still for a "good" shot)

We got 10 chicks from TSC and between my kids putting them in when I wasn't looking and the fact I think lots of kids had been mixing the tubs I'm not sure what I have. They had a tub of golden comets and an assorted reds both straight run.

1 was all light yellow, 6 were a yellow/red with 2 red strips on their backs (a few had some white next to the stripes) and 3 were red/yellow with no stripes (light yellow on heads to varying degrees)

a few days after we got them:

1 of each color
28535_006.jpg

You can see the strips good in this picture (bottom right is no strip, bottom left strip with white, and top left is light yellow-no red)
28535_004.jpg

updated pictures...3 weeks?????around-not exactly sure how old they were when I got them.

The chick my daughter named Tinkerbell who I am pretty sure will be a prince charming LOL
28535_chicks09_007.jpg
28535_chicks09_002.jpg

My 3 lighter colored girls???? I am thinking came out of the golden comet bin?????(along with "prince")

28535_chicks09_012.jpg

28535_chicks09_014.jpg
You can see how much lighter she is then the "reds"

The other 6 I think came out of assorted reds and I am not sure if the difference in coloring is a breed thing or stage of developement-again hoping they are all girls. 3 have gotten mostly red and 3 are only partly red.....
28535_chicks09_011.jpg
28535_chicks09_017.jpg
28535_chicks09_020.jpg
28535_chicks09_016.jpg
28535_chicks09_015.jpg
28535_chicks09_005.jpg

Any ideas??? Or at least guesses? Thanks!

(I have no idea how my pics ended up 2 sizes???)

Last edited:
They are all gold sex links, which makes the white a boy and the rest girls for sure.
big_smile.png

Lucky you, you're going to have a nice flock! I loved my Golden Comets, they were the very sweetest and most personable hens.

Thanks for the replies!
smile.png

I thought the white was a roo based on what I had read, but wasn't sure, thanks for making me feel better.
big_smile.png

I figured with my luck I had 10 roos! As long as there is only 1 roo he can stay-but I think we'll have to change his name.
lol.png

The guy at TSC told me there was no breed you could sex by color, but the internet told me better LOL.

I thought I remembered learning in one of my animal science classes that there were breeds you could sex by color (we had a whole chicken farm studying genetics at that time....)
I was more an equine person them chickens though so only vaguely remember. My grandmothers family ran a chicken farm back before I was around, so I am hoping maybe it is in my blood!

I am having as much if not more fun then my kids in having them so far.

Any thoughts on why they are coloring/feathering at different rates and colors? I was thinking some were RSL and some comets, but is there a variation in color/feathering within the cross itself?

I am hoping to get the coop done and move them out with the light this week, They are not all feathered, but 2 of them don't seem as feathered as the others so I am concerned about moving them out since temps are going to be in the 30's a few nights next week. Do you think it will be OK with the lamp? They are definately getting too big for their box.

The coloring of RSLs and comets (which are, I believe, amber sex links?) is just in the individuals. I've got a group of five, with one boy who are about the same age as yours and they're pretty varied in the amount of white on the girls and how quick they're feathering out. also, mine are enjoying the outside and not using a light during the day (too hot here) but at night they still come in. I'm new at the poultry thing too, though, so take that with a grain of salt. Or several.

The people at our local TSC had no idea what a "sex link" was which was nice as I got to hand pick the chicks I wanted out of the straight run bin
wink.png
when I was done my daughter was happy that I had picked 1 roo to replace her dearest Bobby - The lady asked how I knew I only had 1 rooster - so I explained. We went back 2 days later and they had a sign up saying that there was no choice in what you were given out of the straight run brooder - you get what they give you!
I also agree you have a mix of golden comets and red sex-links.

Back
Top Bottom