breed/sex help please:)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by beepbeepinajeep, Apr 19, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    The two larger chickens were sold to me as Americauna pullets. The colored chicks were given to my kids by my sister & I would guess they are a light colored breed (maybe white leghorn?). Are the colored chicks male? I really appreciate the help! TIA!

Henny
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Penny
    [​IMG]

Orange
    [​IMG]

Strawberry
    [​IMG]

Blueberry
    [​IMG]

And Orange bosses them all around. It will even lay right on top of Henny or Penny... even will take a ride on them sometimes.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Judging by comb, I would say orange is a girl, red is a boy & blue is ??? Looks like they will feather out white.

The dye is injected into the egg a week to a week and a half before hatch, so they theoretically could be either gender.

Leghorns are a good guess as it looks like they have white earlobes--of course I haven't really paid much attention to when earlobes develop colour [​IMG]

3. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    It would be wonderful if we had only one rooster:) I am a little surprised by how dominant that little orange one is! Orange is so friendly too... dominant & friendly. Well, they are all very affectionate. My childhood memories of being around chickens were of being pecked trying to collect eggs;)

Do you think I'll be able to tell sex on blueberry pretty soon? I do notice that Orange's comb seems a little smaller than Strawberry.

That is wild that they inject the dye before they are born. Does it hurt them at all? I wonder who thought that up!

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The three colored chicks, will be white leghorn roosters.

Those are the one sold for easter chicks.

White leghorn rooster, not much good for anything(no meat) except pets.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    If they color them before they hatch, how do they sex them? Or do they just take the pullets

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
  7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:they sell the pullet to laying farms. vent sex after hatching.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They've been dying chicks in the shell for decades--often for scientific study, but in some states it is outlawed, or at least outlawed for sale.

It doesn't seem to affect health or viability if done correctly. Food colouring is used, and a small amount is injected barely into the shell. Google "dying chicks" and you should find several sites that describe the process. Since it is done before hatch, there is no way to determine gender.

9. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Oh yes they sex them like always ,vent sex. after hatching

10. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Wow come on people, you can order sex chicks from any hatchery. just because they color them dont mean they cant sex them!!!!

Yes the first 3 look like pullets.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by