Breed & sex of these white chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Lagniappe Alpacas, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Lagniappe Alpacas

Lagniappe Alpacas Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    I ordered a brown layer assortment and roos were included for packing.The breeds are listed below that were in the assortment .They are about 7 weeks old. Boy or girl and what breed? Thanks for your help.

This is the last of the bunch for now.

Breeds that could be included in this assortment are: Golden Buff, White Rock, Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Rhode Island Red, Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Delaware, New Hampshire Rd, Black Jersey Giant, Silver & Golden Laced Wyandotte, Dominique, Columbian Wyandotte, Dark Cornish, Light Brahma, Partridge Rock.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    At only seven weeks old and combs as big as they are already they look like White Leghorns to me, but they could be White Rocks. None of the other breeds you listed are solid white.

2 people like this.
  3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    they are white leghorns.. the one with the combs floped to the side are hens.. seems you got 3 boys

4. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Anyone sure about females in this group? I have 8 of these white chickens. I had 8 roos packed in with my 16 (3 EE and 13 brown layer assortment ) female only order. Would that be too much of a coincidence?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  5. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    Can a moderator move this? Sorry, I posted in the wrong category . If it can't be moved, I'll delete it.

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you had eight packing peanuts then I'd bet money that all eight of the white birds are Leghorn roosters. I don't think any brown egg layer would have combs that big at seven weeks.

7. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Look at the sickle feathers on the flopped comb birds. Those are male feathers.

All are White Leghorn or Leghorn Hybrid males. Will make fair dumplins!

No females. look at their sickle feathers.

8. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i have never heard flopped comb means hen, these are all roosters, no pullet is flopping a comb at that age.

9. Lagniappe Alpacas

May 1, 2011
    Somerset, Virginia
    We caught two of them in the act of crowing tonight and at 8 weeks, they are all looking very rooish. Thanks for all the help everyone.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    White leghorn roos, every one. Packing peanuts can be any breed they have extras of.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by