1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Breed/sex of two young chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bohemian.darling, Sep 9, 2012.

1. bohemian.darling

bohemian.darling In the Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Hello everyone:

I got these two chickens at a feed store that I'm not that familiar with. The orange and white one they told me was an RIR, which is obviously incorrect (Looks like a golden comet to me). The white one they said is a white leghorn, which I have no experience with, but I think they are correct about that.

I got them on July 10th, and the orange one is at least a few weeks older. I am guessing the orange one is about 3.5 months and the white one maybe 2.5-3 months?

I really thought the orange one was a boy, but he is looking girly to me now. I am really, really bad at discerning sex. The white one I thought looked girly and now I am not sure. Help? Thanks! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Looks like a Comet. I have 2 but I think they call them Red Sex-links now?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pullets.

Red sex link is the generic name, like ibuprofen. Gold comet like a brand name for a red sex link, like Advil or Motrin.They're also marketed as Red Stars, Cinnamon Queen, etc.

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Pullets, a White Leghorn and a Red sex-link.

5. bohemian.darling

bohemian.darling In the Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Woo hoo, thanks! I was hoping they were both little ladies :)

6. ChickenExtreme

ChickenExtreme Songster

Jun 25, 2012

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by