Breed & sex on bantams

Nay117

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
Hi! New chicken mom here! I purchased 2 unsexed bantam chickens from our local tractor supply .. (got 7 chicks total). I am unsure of the breed of bantams .. Easter Eggers? I dont have much knowledge on the different breeds of chickens. They are about 2 weeks old .. my gold darker bantam (Tina) is very friendly with me comes to me and hops in my hand and likes to be pet. My lighter one (Ruthie) is very shy and keeps to herself a lot when I am hanging out with the chicks. She is doing very well otherwise. Tina (friendlier one) already has a much more pronounced comb compared to Ruthie. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts if Tina is a roo (not that it matters I love her either way and cant imagine getting rid of any of them). Or if anyone has input on breed. Thank you so much in advance!

Attachments

• 20210421_071558.jpg
    20210421_071558.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210420_172311.jpg
    20210420_172311.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210420_172322.jpg
    20210420_172322.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 23
Hi! New chicken mom here! I purchased 2 unsexed bantam chickens from our local tractor supply .. (got 7 chicks total). I am unsure of the breed of bantams .. Easter Eggers? I dont have much knowledge on the different breeds of chickens. They are about 2 weeks old .. my gold darker bantam (Tina) is very friendly with me comes to me and hops in my hand and likes to be pet. My lighter one (Ruthie) is very shy and keeps to herself a lot when I am hanging out with the chicks. She is doing very well otherwise. Tina (friendlier one) already has a much more pronounced comb compared to Ruthie. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts if Tina is a roo (not that it matters I love her either way and cant imagine getting rid of any of them). Or if anyone has input on breed. Thank you so much in advance!
They look to be Gold and Silver Sebrights.
Welcome to BYC!

thank you all so much!
No problem! And look forward to them growing up because they will be BEAUTIFUL! I own a few, and the rooster is just gorgeous. He's the only rooster we've kept since the beginning of owning chickens because he was just too beautiful to give away (and too small to process).
He is our dominant rooster, but every year we hatch 2-3 clutches of chicks and we never get any chicks that look like him. They are known to have very low fertility

Definitely Golden and silver sebrights. I've purchased chicks from Tractor supply, bantams, and they came out to be sebrights.

No problem! And look forward to them growing up because they will be BEAUTIFUL! I own a few, and the rooster is just gorgeous. He's the only rooster we've kept since the beginning of owning chickens because he was just too beautiful to give away (and too small to process).
He is our dominant rooster, but every year we hatch 2-3 clutches of chicks and we never get any chicks that look like him. They are known to have very low fertility
so I think the golden laced sebright is a cockerel now that he is getting to be closer to 4 weeks.. we were planning on just having laying hens .. any suggestion bc you have experience with the breed if mine is definitely a male with a single comb? Is there any chance it could still be a pullet? I'm new to chickens and having a rooster with my small backyard flock intimidates me and I'm having a hard time convincing my boyfriend we are keeping him. He is actually one of my favorite chicks and super friendly. Any advice would help!

Attachments

• 20210430_180031.jpg
    20210430_180031.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210430_175802.jpg
    20210430_175802.jpg
    385.2 KB · Views: 17

Back
Top Bottom