Breed? Sex?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by allergymama, Aug 16, 2016.

1. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    These dudes and dudettes are 11 weeks old here. They are rescues from an unexpected hatch from a friend of a friend. I haven't seen the dad, but was told that he was a Pekin. They gave me the mom and she is in the pic. She looks like a KC to me.
    [​IMG]

I also can't tell their sex. There are definitely some females, but the mom raises such a ruckus when anyone gets near them that it's hard to tell who's making what noise. One of the "tuxedos" (black, with white chest and a greenish cast to the head) is definitely a female...I can hear her.

Any ideas on sex and breed? Thanks!

Here's some closeup pics of a few of them
    [​IMG]

2. AnjKar n Ducks

AnjKar n Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

The one u called tuxedo sounds a looks like a Black Swedish. If they have bright greenish head they are male and the females don't have as bright greenish heads. [​IMG] I have no idea for the rest! [​IMG] Another way is when they are around 6 months males will have curly feathers on their tails, females won't but that seems to be awhile because they are 11 weeks! :th

3. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    It's close, they seem to have more white all the way up to under their chins. The original owners only had two ducks...the small brown female that they gave me in the first pic, and the male that they said was a pekin. What is the ancestry of black swedish?

4. AnjKar n Ducks

The color of Swedish Blue ducks is due to heterozygosity in a color gene. If a Swedish Blue duck and drake breed, the young are the usual 25% / 50% / 25% ratio in:
    25%: A homozygous form, black where the blue should be.
    50%: Heterozygous, as the parents.
    25%: The other homozygous form, splashed or silver with combinations of blue and black and white.
    Homozygous means that the organism is this case ducks had the same dominate or recessive gene. Heterozygous means they had 1 dominate and 1 recessive.
    So possibly the mom and dad had the recessive gene and when they got to together the recessive gene came out and produced the Black Swedish. Or one had the dominant gene but the recessive gene was the one that took over for some reason.

Hope that wasn't confusing, that's the only way I would think a Black Swedish would be produced. [​IMG] :old :duc

5. allergymama

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    B.S. in Biology so I got ya! Creating a chi square in my head. haha.

Now, I have to go look at blue swedish pics...

So, likely that the mom is a cross, too. Not a KC as I originally expected?

6. AnjKar n Ducks

Yah I would say she's a cross not pure KC

7. Rackle9990

Rackle9990 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    I don't have a clue as I'm relatively new to having ducks. I actually have a question of my own. We bought 2 Rouen ducklings this year. We thought that we ended up with a hen and a drake. One showed all the characteristics of a drake-raspy quack, green head,orange bill,gray chest and white neck ring. The other one remained brown and then slowly developed a green head and gray chest feathers. They both have a curly tail feather. However, the one has A LOT more brown on it's chest and never developed the white ring. Is it possible that he is not a pure Rouen but rather a mix of some kind?

8. AnjKar n Ducks

Could u post a picture that could help quite a bit because many ducks have those characteristics.

9. Rackle9990

Rackle9990 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    I'll try to get a good picture of him.

10. Rackle9990

Rackle9990 New Egg

Aug 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by