Breed? Sex?

Jun 8, 2020
Tillsonburg, Ont, Canada
I bought these 6 but are they hens? They were supposed to be. They bigger ones are at least 22 weeks bought them at 5 weeks, the 3 in same picture were 3 weeks old

Attachments

• 20200609_111204.jpg
    20200609_111204.jpg
    611.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200609_111155.jpg
    20200609_111155.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200609_111145.jpg
    20200609_111145.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200609_111138.jpg
    20200609_111138.jpg
    945 KB · Views: 18
There are at least 2 if not 3 roosters. The one on the right in the pic of 3, the one facing the camera, with a flatter comb, and the one facing to the left. Each of those has pointed feathers at the tail base. They appear to be copper marans crosses based on copper colored feathers around the neck and feathered legs. The hens "might" be marans but it's hard to tell with them sitting down.

If they are 22 weeks old...any laying eggs yet? Any checking out the nest boxes or crouching when you come near?

for 22 weeks I see 2 females. First pic, the two on the left and center. All rest look male bc of saddle feathers apparent.

If they are 22 weeks old...any laying eggs yet? Any checking out the nest boxes or crouching when you come near?

for 22 weeks I see 2 females. First pic, the two on the left and center. All rest look male bc of saddle feathers apparent.
As far as I know not laying yet the ones in pic with three are 19 weeks roughly now....so I get this correct the one male in that pic is on the right with more of the brown color?

As far as I know not laying yet the ones in pic with three are 19 weeks roughly now....so I get this correct the one male in that pic is on the right with more of the brown color?

yes, on the right, but that is the one I am least sure is a male. I’m not seeing obvious saddle feathers.

the other three individual pics all have male saddle feathers Showing.

yes, on the right, but that is the one I am least sure is a male. I’m not seeing obvious saddle feathers.

the other three individual pics all have male saddle feathers Showing.
Man that is upsetting as I am fine with 1 roaster but the breeder should have known at 5 and 3 weeks if male or am I wrong? I am currently building separate coop for my silkies , I can also build one for these copper marans but will need to part with a few roosters.

Man that is upsetting as I am fine with 1 roaster but the breeder should have known at 5 and 3 weeks if male or am I wrong? I am currently building separate coop for my silkies , I can also build one for these copper marans but will need to part with a few roosters.

If they are a breeder, maybe they knew. But honest mistakes happen and not all breeds are easily differentiated at 3 weeks. In my limited experience, by 6 weeks males and female usually look different from each other, so if I were breeding a particular breed, I would think I’d have my suspicions on the 5 week old ones, at the very least.

If they are a breeder, maybe they knew. But honest mistakes happen and not all breeds are easily differentiated at 3 weeks. In my limited experience, by 6 weeks males and female usually look different from each other, so if I were breeding a particular breed, I would think I’d have my suspicions on the 5 week old ones, at the very least.
[/QUOTE
Thanks I am learning lots....I will separate the 3 bigger roasters to a separate pen I have for now...will try to get better pic of the 1 questionable roo

Usually marans can be sexed by appearance pretty early, 5-6 weeks or so, because the males get red combs and wattles early BUT I recently was fooled myself and kept what I thought was a hen and ended up being a late blooming rooster (from FBCM eggs I bought from a local person). I don't even think mine is a pure FBCM, so that makes it worse because the mixed breeds don't have the reliable color patterning that helps to tell the boys from the girls. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom