1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed? Sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kate Lawry, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Kate Lawry

Kate Lawry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2008
    Can you please tell me what breeds you think these 2 are and what sex.
    I think they are 19 weeks old, we've have had them about 9 weeks (they told us their were 10 weeks old when we got them).
    We haven't named them yet incase they are boys and have to go back to the breeder.
    The little black one has starting puffing it chest out and confronting the larger one. The golden one makes a strange crowing sound and really doesn't like being picked up!
    They don't seem to be very big, not compared to they other 2 chickens we have, they are hybrids crossed with RIR (which are in a separate coup at the moment)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I couldn't tell you about breed, but they are both pullets.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Are you from the US? That one bird almost looks like a Blue Partridge Brahma?

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I bought 12 australorps that were suppose to be 12 weeks old. They should be 22 weeks old now, and there is just no way. Those don't look very big to me.

5. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Well- the dark one is a barred cochin banty. The other does look like a brahma- but no color that I've ever seen.

6. Kate Lawry

Jul 26, 2008
    Well that sounds right, we were totally in the dark about the little black one, but believed we have a gold brahma. Its is so small though and we thought it was going to be a big bird, could it be a bantam?

Yes, I am in the UK.

So I can happily name them now, as they are both girls. Does anyone know when they may start laying and how many eggs they produce?

Thanks,
    Kate

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Then your Brahma is a blue partridge Brahma. In the US, very few breeders have Blue Partridge Brahmas. They are NOT easy to get.

8. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Banties tend to lay later than standard breeds. So after 20 weeks but don't be surprised to see nothing into six months. They'll get there.

Really cute babies.

9. Kate Lawry

Jul 26, 2008
    Thanks for your help!
    The bantam is so cute, we were really worried she was going to turn out to be a 'he' and we would have to take him back.

Kate x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by