Breed & sex?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FatBottomGirls, Nov 30, 2012.

1. FatBottomGirls

FatBottomGirls Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH
    In September, my Grandma came home from a livestock auction with 4 ducks. No information about these ducks came with them. I've been trying to figure out off & on since then what breed they are. I'd appreciate any help y'all could give me! Thanks in advance!

This is the first day they came to us. Sept 26, 2012

[​IMG]

This is also the first day.
    [​IMG]

This is 2 months later. Ignore the date, my camera was wonky that day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They lived solely on the pond for 2 months, they'd run away anytime we came near them at first. My husband has established a relationship with them via food, but they still won't let me get too close. We have now managed to get them into the barn & have them in a pen. They're mad but better than being in a frozen pond! If I knew what breed they were, I feel I could learn more about them. Thanks!!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    See if you think the bibbed ones are Swedish, and the others Rouens. They could also be mixes of those breeds.

3. Bakinbaker

Bakinbaker Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I agree with Amiga. The bibbed ones look just like my Black Swedish but with more white. The one (of the 2 bibbed) that doesn't have a black beak could be a mix but not necessarily.

4. FatBottomGirls

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH
    Thank you both! We did think Swedish Blacks, so that's good. We weren't sure about the others. Rouens seem like a good fit from what I've read. It really doesn't matter to me what they are, just feel better knowing.

Now to figure out what the chickens are she brought home a couple weeks after that...lol

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I would say welsh harlequins or appleyards. They have too much white on them and are much too light colored to be rouens.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    i would agree bibbed could be a swedish or a mix that threw the bib pattern. the others look mostly WH, both drakes, or could also be a mix.

these are all silver appleyards. they are very large heavy duck

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. AZCowboy

AZCowboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2012
    Welsh harlequin 1 mixed breed and one Cayuga

8. FatBottomGirls

Nov 30, 2012
    Portage County, OH
    Thanks everybody! I had suggested WH at one point, & hubby shot it down. Since asking here, & getting the WH so many times, he's come around. They're back out on the pond all the time, they seem no worse for it. Better actually, happier. After a few days in the barn, hubby let them out of it because it was such a nice warm day. As soon as their feet touched the grass, all 4 of them took off flying for the pond. [​IMG]

They come "running" when they see my husband. If he doesn't have any food with him they yell at him. They still are very wary of me, even if I'm carrying the food.

These pictures are from December 6. I wanted to get some closer shots of their backs & neck markings. The next few are of the Welsh (?)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Swedish (?) Drake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

W
    elsh (?) Drakes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I can't remember if this is the male or female, but it's one of the Swedish.

[​IMG]

Heading back to the pond after the morning feeding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yelling at me because I don't have food for them. I had just got home from work.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by