Breed specific disease?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by firedancer57, Sep 6, 2010.

1. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    My son was given a chick as a rescue, because we have parrots and the person thought that we would be the chicks best placement anyway. We were told she was a "Barred Rock" I posted her picture when she had her first egg and then again on the Barred Rock thread. Several times I have been told that she is a Maran instead, OK I personaly didn't care until I thought about "Breed " specific disease or tendencies. ..i.e Macaws with PDD, Cockatoos with beak and feather problems etc. Certen(sp) breeds of dogs have disease tendencies, so do chickens? Just curious. Thank you in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    She is a Cuckoo Maran - As the the disease? [​IMG]

3. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Chickens don't really have breed specific diseases, so no worries there.

You should really get her a friend though. Chickens are flock animals and do best in groups.

4. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    I am going to say that she is not a BR. I do not know about the Maran's. I love her face!!!

5. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I think there's a "best stink-eye" thread somewhere. You should post that picture!

Love her!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Her legs look yellow in the first pic, which would make her a barred rock. Not a great quality one, but still. Marans have white legs.

Chickens don't have breed specific ailments like dogs do, but they can certainly have problems.

Internal laying can be a problem which leads to egg peritonitis.
    http://www.avianweb.com/eggyolkperitonitis.html

Also, parasites such as internal worms, external creepy crawlies like lice and mites, and scaly leg mites.

And of course there's predator issues, as just about everything likes to eat chicken.

7. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    Thank you for your information. It helped alot, and has eased some worries.

Zee, is a spoiled rotten little house chick and she knows it. Her newest thing is when ever the refer door gets opened she immediately runs and pecks at the veggie drawer for grapes.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens LOVE grapes. And strawberries, and watermelon, and cantaloupe......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by