breed sugestions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by v.cyr, May 19, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    just wondering, what breeds would be good to add to my little flock... I currently have a couple of buff orp hens, a black giant hen, 5 barred rock/buff orp hens, one barred rock/buff orp roo, and one austrolorp rooster, and will have the subsequent crosses of the aussie and the orps and orp crosses, and the orp cross and the giant later this season.... what breeds will likely both get along with the birds I have/will have, and add/reinforce good traits(cold hardiness, temperament, size, and egg production) in any crossings I decide to breed... just looking for a general idea, I know there is no set rules in genetics...

*note* barred rocks are already out... had a few bad experiences with that breed's nasty temperament... never again

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I think you should add some easter eggers or ameraucanas - you need some green and blue eggs to go with the shades of brown.

3. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Yep, add some EEs! They are wonderful!

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I have been toying with the idea of getting some EE hens, but my GF isn't convinced... still might get some... what about Wyandottes... I thing the place we buy chicks might have some... are they a good choice?..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by