Breed Suggestions for Hot & Humid Climates

SoFlaNative

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
We live in Fort Lauderdale FL and are looking for breed suggestions. We really love the personality of the Buff Orpingtons as we have a seven year old who will be using them also for a school project. We were told by several that the Orpies are too heavy of a breed for the heat and humidity. It was suggested to get the Speckled Sussex, Red Star and Black Australorp, possibly Easter Eggers. D

We are looking for calm, fairly quiet, sweet birds that we can handle and ones that can take the heat. Any personal stories, suggestions and information on where to purchase are greatly appreciated.wee

Thanks so much,
Jeannine

I'm in Central FL, though it's not as bad as it is down there it's been rough lately. I currently have 3 hatchery rhode island reds (Similiar to red stars) and 2 EEs. They are doing just fine in this Florida weather, though they do pant pretty often it doesn't affect their activities. All five of mine are relatively quiet, tame and friendly birds, but of course you have to handle them very often when young. And like you mentioned, I would steer clear away from orpingtons unless you can get a good cooling system up and running. They are hefty, with hens weighing 6+ pounds and they also plenty of feathers which makes heat stroke more of a possibility. IMO, birds weighing 5 pounds and under would be better for you, since I know how humid and hot it can get here at times.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom