breed suggestions for HOT weather mild winters or oklahoma lol

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Alesia, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Alesia

Alesia Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    i am wondering what breeds of chickens would work well in our oklahoma climate i would like decent layers so they make up for the cost of raising them a little

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Click on "breeds" in the top brown bar, then chick "hot" on the left under climate tolerance.

3. Alesia

Mar 26, 2012
    oh my pet chicken . com they have a much bigger list of heat resistant chickens i am thinking i might want Easter Egger Bantams i like that they arent really all black and they are sposed to be sweet birds and if i got my info right u can house them in smaller space

4. Oakieridge

Oakieridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2012
    Lincoln Co., OK
    We had cukoo marans last summer that did fine and it was the worst summer ever, lol. We now have 4 kinds of marans, buff orphingtons, and black australorps. We also have banty cochins, we will see how it goes.

5. Alesia

Mar 26, 2012
    good luck im scared to get birds and then have them die of over heating i really dont want to air condition the coop

6. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
  7. Alesia

Mar 26, 2012
    thanks for the suggestions i want to make sure they are esy breeds to start out with

8. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    we are in IL; hot humid nasty summers...
    we have and LOVE for cold winters & Hot nasty summers:

Turkens (aka: naked necks) I know they are ugly; (gasp) but they are GREAT producers
    and tolerate the heat/cold VERY well!

Our Barred rocks, Black australorps, Easter Eggers are doing/have done just fine!

GL

9. velma

velma Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    I have an Australorp, Dominique, RRs, and Leghorn, and now only one Buff Opington. I lost two Buff due to the extreme heat last summer. I allowed them to free range and kept lots of water and a mist running at times and that seemed to help. But this year I purposely did not get any Buffs even though I love that breed but I did get more Australorps, Doms, and Leghorns. Summers like last years don't come very often but as you know our summers are hot. This is my third year raising chickens and had no problem the first year. Good luck.

10. Alesia

Mar 26, 2012
    thanks for the advice i really want to get easter eggers i am just falling in love with those little guys they are sooooo cute and they are sposed to have great temperments i dont think i could handle cranky chickens all the time lol ill keep looking around at the differant breeds that are sposed to do good in heat. though i am going to get like 6 chickens and maybe a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by