Breed Suggestions

itspebbl

Free Ranging
8 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Georgia
We are planning to add some birds to our flock sometime soon, so wondering if anyone could suggest some breeds for us. Here are my qualities that I hope to have in the new birds

Top Priority-Decent layers of non-white eggs, docile

Would really like to have- Heat tolerant or winter layers, non-black birds, relatively common

Lower priority-Occaisionally broody, pretty patterns

May edit to add qualities later

Hi,
Wheaten Marans. Dark brown eggs, docile. Get some fro a nice quality breeder's line bred flock. Plus, you can have fun showing the eggs at Marans egg sows. Just pay the tiny fee and shop 3 excellent eggs to the show. They will be judged, then destroyed and you awards(if you win) will be sent to you. Lots of fun, I did it for a while when I had Marans. The trick here is to look up the egg show results online and find out who has been winning in the Wheaten variety. Then get chicks or better yet, started birds, from that person.
This is Peggy Taylor, have known her for years while I the Marans bred. She breeds lovely Marans. See her winning Wheaten hen here: http://rockyspringsfarm.com And yes! her Wheaten eggs won in quality competition at the egg show. Newnan, Georgia is the National Meet for Marans. To win there is a really big deal and her eggs did, over 52 other entries!

Best,
Karen

Last edited:
We have red sex link, BR and BR mix, EE mix, Amberlink, Australorp, golden comet, black sex link. We also have an orpington rooster, but he is separate from the hens

Back
Top Bottom