Breed suggestions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lalydiafaith, Apr 6, 2018.

1. lalydiafaith

lalydiafaith In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Richmond, Va
    Hey everyone! This is my very first time buying chickens and raising them. I'm looking for a chicken breed that will fit my needs perfectly (or close to it). They need to be Backyard friendly meaning they don't need a ton of space, good in Hot and cold, and friendly in general. I want them mainly for pets and eggs. But eggs are not my top priority. I was looking into Silkies or some type of Orpington. I would greatly appreciate suggestions! And i would like to know some breeds that go well together because i'm interested in getting two types. I'm only allowed to get 4 chickens. And i would like to buy them as chicks. I also appreciate tips and tricks on raising chickens/chicks. Thanks!

WestoftheRest and kandi862 like this.
  2. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Crowing

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Buff orpingtons, and some type of Brahma

The Phantom and lalydiafaith like this.
  3. cholland

cholland Songster

Jan 17, 2017
    California
    Australorps and an Easter egger for color.

lalydiafaith likes this.
  4. chickencheeper

chickencheeper Crowing

Jun 4, 2017
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    I was gonna suggest EEs too! They’re great

chickbrad24 and lalydiafaith like this.
  5. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Songster

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania

×2 Orpingtons and Brahmas, are both perfect friendly chickens. They come in a variety of beautiful colors and are both hot and cold hardy.

lalydiafaith and chickencheeper like this.
  6. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Unfortunately I can recommend AGAINST both buff Orpington and Silkies for the needs you state. They are KNOWN to be too broody and that means no eggs.

I will highly recommend Barred Rock (or other variety) and Easter Eggers. Possibly Australorp or Speckled Sussex.

I have raised many many breeds and the first two I mentioned are among my faves. Easter eggers area mixed bag of personality and looks and everyday makes me feel like a child again when I collect the eggs. Rocks are solid, good all around birds in my experience both laying and personality. I also like having a variety of eye candy on pasture and in the egg basket. It helps to easily tell them apart and who is laying and if anyone might be having issues a bit easier than if you've got all one breed. Also helps spread out when they will molt or for how long. ;)

Here are a couple links with some breed comparison charts...
    https://livestockconservancy.org/images/uploads/docs/pickachicken.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Enjoy the adventure! :wee :pop

ETA: Wyandotte aren't my first choice but you might also enjoy those. All mentioned are readily available at many feed stores.

Angeline1978 likes this.
  7. lalydiafaith

lalydiafaith In the Brooder

Apr 5, 2018
    Richmond, Va

Hi! Thanks for the feedback and information. I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out lol. I'll look into those breeds! Especially the Easter eggers because a lot of people have recommended those.

8. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    x10 orpingtons!

lalydiafaith likes this.
  9. jennajolynne

jennajolynne Chirping

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    My Australorp is the friendliest. I have a small backyard flock and she thrived in the brutal NY winter and she lays just about every day. Whenever she sees me in the sliding glass door, she comes running looking for treats.

10. jennajolynne

jennajolynne Chirping

May 8, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Oh and I forgot to mention, I had one silkie and she didn’t do well with the cold. Any sort of draft into the coop leaves them soaking wet and miserable. They are so cute but also easily bullied by other breeds. I kindly gave her to a friend with only bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: