Breed Suggestions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chick_a_dee, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    I look to you, my fellow BYC'ers in this time of need! We have decided to cull out our red layers due to our inability to figure out what is wrong with them that is not affecting our EE's (they're from a large hatchery and we have already lost 2, one to internal laying the other just keeled over one day for no apparent reason) and the rest are in a poor state, and nothing seems to be helping with their condition or their egg laying (this has been ongoing for about 6 months now, so it's time to throw in the rag and start over). We will be keeping our 5 Easter Eggers who are apparently very healthy ladies over the winter, and won't be able to pick up any more hens until May. We will be ordering from PerformancePoultry (www.performancepoultry.com) as I am very happy with the healthy of his birds and the availability of breeds.

If you guys could look on the website under Poultry and give me suggestions based on what he has, please do!

My specifications would be...

Good brooders
    Hardy (We're in coldcoldcold Ontario!)
    Brown eggs
    Large to extra large eggs

Obviously I'm looking at a large breed, and will be getting a rooster for them as well so we can hatch out our own babes eventually.

I am partial to the Jersey Giants and Chanteclers, thoughts? Does anyone have crosses of these with EE hens? My EEs would be in the same coop as this rooster.

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I think Chantaclers were bred in Canada and are supposed to be good winter egg layers and very hardy. I think they are also very attractive birds-

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Orpingtons sounds like they may fit your bill. They're fluffy birds and I heard they go broody frequently.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I would say LF Faverolles I have had a few LF hens but now I have Bantams they are great. I also love Wellsummers.

5. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    coming from a canadian , you know i am going to say chantaclers [​IMG] i will always try to promote them. i would go with white or partge , if you would be also showing them. other than that any one of the colours would do i have bantams , and love them.

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I like the Brahmas all colors....they seem to be very hardy. -30 and they were out in their run instead of in the coop!.

7. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    Brahmas are a good choice.

8. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    call ducks, do you have first hand knowledge/experience with their broodiness? I want a breed that will brood their young and set well.

9. roostercruiser

roostercruiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2009
    Reelsville, IN
    Call ducks are really small.

10. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Chick_a_dee was referring to the member named Call Ducks, not the animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by