Breed Suggestions

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I want to start breeding a few breeds.
    I have 2 Black Jersey Giant Hens and 1 Splash, I'm getting a 5 Month Old JG roo this Friday for them.
    Then I have 2 Buff Orpington roosters...plus around 20+ BO hens. One of the BO roosters has a comb default and the other has a perfect comb but a few White feathers on each wing. [​IMG] I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Then I have 1 really, really tiny Black Tailed White Japanese Bantam hen, plus 1 other BTWJ and two White Jap hens and 1 Black Tailed Buff hen. But I don't have a rooster. Just a Porcelain D'uccle X Black Tailed White Japanese rooster.

Then I'm getting Serama eggs this weekend..won't have them for awhile.

Then this Friday I'm also picking up some chickens for a friend, Silkie X Sultan bantams. I already have a pair, just want more of them.

Anyway there are a few others but I can't expect you to help me much until I post pictures. [​IMG]

Mostly I want you to help me decide which chickens to breed and not to breed - Pictures to come tomorrow ( hopefully ).

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    My suggestion is start breeding with what you have if you like those breeds. You say you have Jersey Giants and are getting a rooster for them, and you have both rooster and hens in Buff Orpingtons. Start with those.

I would, if it were me use both roosters ( Buff Orpingtons) and see which one throws off the best offspring that is the closest to the SOP. Keep the best hens from the hatchings and breed back to the best rooster and maybe keep a young roosteer and breed back to the older hens and see how this all turns out.

As far as what is left unpaired stock watch and see if you can't find something to go with them.

3. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    Remeber I have the two white silkies that you could bring a roo over and breed here in a seperate pen. Then I could gather and hatch the chicks for you to come get and take home when you pick up your roo. How ever....

4. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Whats your goals for your breeding?

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    draye: Sounds like a plan!

8ROYALS: Thanks, I'll think about it. I have two White Silkie roosters, one is molting and is really ugly. The other doesn't look too bad.
    Maybe when I come to pick-up the Olive Egger eggs I can take him down to you. Or maybe we can work something out tomorrow.

Celtic Hill: I'm trying to find a way to make a little money to pay for my feed bill and my "Addiction."

6. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

draye: Sounds like a plan!

8ROYALS: Thanks, I'll think about it. I have two White Silkie roosters, one is molting and is really ugly. The other doesn't look too bad.
    Maybe when I come to pick-up the Olive Egger eggs I can take him down to you. Or maybe we can work something out tomorrow.

Celtic Hill: I'm trying to find a way to make a little money to pay for my feed bill and my "Addiction."

HAHA, gotchya, if you plan on selling local then just keep a JG, Buff Orp pens. You can put the duccle/Jap cross in with the other japs if you think you can sell the bantam chicks. I know around here they are really popular.

Since you are not breeding for showing then it really doesn't matter what the quality of the stock is.​

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:HAHA, gotchya, if you plan on selling local then just keep a JG, Buff Orp pens. You can put the duccle/Jap cross in with the other japs if you think you can sell the bantam chicks. I know around here they are really popular.

Since you are not breeding for showing then it really doesn't matter what the quality of the stock is.

I may sell chicks later on..right now I just want to sell Hatching Eggs. I took pictures..just need to finish locking everyone up and I'll post them. [​IMG]

8. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

MFP, I really want some of your quail!!! If you have any and if it is warm enough to ship them...

9. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

Quote:HAHA, gotchya, if you plan on selling local then just keep a JG, Buff Orp pens. You can put the duccle/Jap cross in with the other japs if you think you can sell the bantam chicks. I know around here they are really popular.

Since you are not breeding for showing then it really doesn't matter what the quality of the stock is.

I may sell chicks later on..right now I just want to sell Hatching Eggs. I took pictures..just need to finish locking everyone up and I'll post them. [​IMG]

Then yeah, people don't always want show quality Buff orps and jersey giants!!! Idk how the bantams will do as far as eggs.

10. Zac's Flock

Zac's Flock Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2011
    I would start with the breeds you already have roosters of. You can always get more roosters later of the other breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by