breed suggestions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the_damsel, Feb 6, 2013.

1. the_damsel

the_damsel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Hi all,

I apologize for asking a question that's probably been posted a lot before, but after searching threads I can't find exactly the info I'm looking for.

I am fairly new at raising chickens...2 years ago I got my first bunch: 3 barred rocks and a dominique. Last year I added 2 RIR. These girls have been great so far.

I'm going to add 4 more this year. I'm looking for large brown eggs, 5+ per week, and importantly, hardy for cold. The breeds I have are doing just that. It might be fun to have a different breed if there are others that would match these in production and hardiness. Suggestions?

My dominique is the best natured girl of the bunch. Is that typical of the breed or just an individual thing? My barred rocks are pretty mean to the new girls although I realize there must be a pecking order. Anyway, I'd thought of getting more dominiques because the one I have is so sweet. But is that the breed or the individual chicken?

Thanks in advance!
    The Damsel

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  3. lahowardjr

lahowardjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2012
    Bache Oklahoma
    I'm a Buff Orphington fan. They produce large eggs and lay at least every other day or more.

4. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

X2. I love my Buff Orpingtons. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal on my RIRs my flock would be mostly Orpingtons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by