Breed Surprise and Gender Questions - Bantam Rocks and Gold Phoenix

ryanbonin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Hey Gang - it's my turn to be impatient!!!
big_smile.png
We're really hoping not to have to many males as we love all our chicks and would like to keep them but don't want any more than 1 Boy!!! I have a feeling we have a few boys though!
he.gif
We got our chicks from a local guy who breeds all kinds of birds... Originally we wanted standard sized birds as we want eggs for personal use, but once my kids saw the size of a flock of barred rocks they decided they wanted to go with Bantams for the most part! haha Besides their eggs weren't all that small. Anyways, my daughter named them all after the Chimpmunks and Chipette's but I don't know which is which so we'll go with numbers for now! Please correct me on the breeds if you think we have it wrong and if you have an opinion on gender that'd be great as well!

Cheers,
Ryan & Family

Chick #1 Supposed to be a Bantam Partridge Rock but Colors changed drastically when he got bigger (we think he's a boy) - was the most shy bird of the bunch at first but has turned out to be one of the friendliest. Approx 5 weeks old, give or take.
IMG_9497.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

IMG_9499.jpg

Chick #2 - Golden Phoenix This one likes to fly! Very friendly though!

IMG_9495.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

Bird 1 and 2 - together in their brooder

IMG_9528.jpg

Chick #3

This is our little one - by far the smallest and friendliest of the bunch! My kids love it! Golden Phoenix

IMG_9506.jpg

Chick #4 This is a Standard Barred Rock - our only standard bird was supposed to be for eggs... I have a feeling she might be a he?

IMG_9510.jpg

IMG_9512.jpg

Chick #5 - The first of 2 Bantam Buff Rocks

IMG_9507.jpg

Chick #6 - Second Bantam Buff Rock

IMG_9514.jpg

IMG_9515.jpg

And last but not least Chick #7 - Bantam Partridge Rock - Very pretty bird

IMG_9517.jpg

IMG_9518.jpg

IMG_9521.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

Last edited:
Cute chicks! But I've got lots of bad news.

1 - Mutt ROO.
2 - Hen.
3 - Looks to be a girlie as well.
4 - It's been awhile since I had BR, but I think you might be right. The comb is awfully large, and the barring is very light... how old?
5 - ROO
6 - ROO
7 - Hen

Quote:
SUNOVA! haha

The Barred Rock is about 4 weeks old - give or take...

I figured the "Mutt Roo" was a boy and he's an awesome chick so as long as one of our Golden Phoenix Chicks doesn't turn out to be a boy we're going to keep him. As for our Barred Rock and two Buff Rocks - if they're boys they're gonna be finding a new home, or become somebody's thanksgiving dinner. Kind of makes me sad to say but we can't have 3 or 4 Roo's!

Please keep the opinion's coming folks! It's very much appreciated!

1 - Cockeral
2 - Pullet
3 - Pullet
4 - Cockeral
5 - Cockeral
6 - Cockeral
7 - Pullet

Basically Chicken Whisperer's guesses x2. Your BR looks boy to me too. Thick legs, not much dark wash on the legs, lighter plumage... Only thing making me wonder is there is not much red in the comb and wattles yet. Maybe post again in a couple weeks? I'm 80% sure on that one.

Quote:
Thanks for the post Elabaleon - When we got the barred rock he/she had fairly dark legs on the front which I was hoping meant it was a girl, but had blotchy while on the back of its head which I read is usually an indication that it's a boy....we'll see. If we end up with to many boys I think I'm going to order a couple standard RIR hens for eggs.

Thanks again!

Pretty sure those buffs are roo, and the barred is roo. Not sure on the breed for the first but roo. The phoenix and the partridge look pullet to me. Not an expert but I believe you have lottsa roos. All of them are beautiful.

Quote:
Thanks hennyannie! Seems to me there's pattern here... Lots of Roos! Bit of a bummer as they're all sweet birds... Guess that's what happens when you take a chance!

Thanks for the feedback so far folks... I you're all wrong! hehe
smile.png

I want to know how you can tell that the Phoenix is a pullet? We have 11 golden Phoenix bantams and I'd like to know what to look for as they grow to tell male from female. It's driving us crazy trying to see any difference. We have all golden but some are super brown and range to very light almost white colors. They are pure breed golden Phoenix bantams

Back
Top Bottom