Breed That Actually Lays Blue Eggs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JensMaverick, Feb 22, 2016.

1. JensMaverick

JensMaverick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    Hello. My 10 year old son is in the "egg business" with our 9 hens and wants to have some new egg colors. I was looking into getting some Crested Legbar pullets to add to our flock, but all those that I look at seem to be laying a light bluish/green egg similar to the inside color of a Andes Mint. Is this what is actually considered blue in the chicken egg world? We have 3 EEs currently that already lay this color of egg. See attached photo which shows some of the eggs. Ignore the speckled one, that is more of green color. It is so hard to capture the true color of the egg in a photo. So I am driving all over the state looks for that elusive blue egg. Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both true Ameraucana and Araucana lay only blue eggs. MyPetChicken, Meyer, and Cackle offer true Ameraucana, or you could go the one of the breed club web pages and find a breeder.

1 person likes this.
  3. hellbender

hellbender Overrun With Chickens

Sep 2, 2013
    Grinder's Switch
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. JensMaverick

JensMaverick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2015
    Thank you for the replies. I will have to keep my eyes open for a local breeder in MIchigan of true Ameraucanas. I only want one or two (since we just bought 10 new chicks this week) so I don't want to place a big order from a hatchery. Bummed about the Crested Cream Legbars. I think they are neat looking birds.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
  6. birds4kids

birds4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    Thanks for bringing this up, I was a little disappointed when my Crested Cream Legbar laid green, still pretty but expected blue.

1 person likes this.
  7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My Legbars also laid an egg that was much more green than it was blue. One of the breeders on the Legbar thread tried to tell me blue is in the eye of the beholder. Ha Ha! Either it is blue or it is not as far as I sm concerned.

1 person likes this.
  8. cressrb

cressrb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have five Cream Legbars. Only two of those lay blue eggs. I don't have a chart, only the comparison between the blue green and the green Isbar eggs to compare.

I plan on on taking those blue eggs and hatching them and only useing them for breeding. Hopefully, that gene will carry through. But, I will have to wait until that
    next generation start laying to see if this will work.

I sent this picture before, but here is the bluer egg from my CL beside the Isbar egg to compare.
    Let me know what you think.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    [​IMG]

my rumpless araucana's egg

1 person likes this.
  10. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    Most of the eggs there look to come from a bird with both a blue gene and a tint gene. If you want to get rid of that greenish tint, you need to get rid of any brown/tint genes.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by