breed that lays once a year?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by scooby, Nov 8, 2009.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I have a question, I have a friend who's daughter in law just bought a mixed flock of about 30, and now is trying to get them to take 1/2 of them, anyways she was saying that there was a bird , said it was a game hen, and she said it only layed once a year. i think she was saying that it hatched once a year too. anyways i'v never heard of this "breed" before so i'm wondering is there is such a bird. she doesn't really know anything about chickens and i think she was just going off of either what the lady that sold them said or her daughters. so i was just wondering cause it peeked my interest?

2. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    I went down the road to the game bird farm to ask about this. They said none of thier breeds like masked bobwhites or pheasants lay one egg a year or one nest, they do have more of a breeding in spring habits. They have to build tall grass hiding spots for the hens to nest in unlike chickens that will nest in a box. But they collect eggs for first 1/2 of summer toward end of summer they really taper off and he said some breeds like vulturina? are extreamly agressive toward females so they have to watxh that. He didnt know of a breed that lays one nest a year but might be such a thing. Might be an exotic fowl. But it would be to that breeds detriment to not be able to nest more than once with predetors. Kiwi, or some flightless breed maybe he said

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Are you sure it wasn't a turkey? [​IMG]

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Are you sure they didn't mean 1 clutch a year? There are quite a few gamebird species that will only lay 1-2 clutches per year.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Maybe it is a jungle fowl? I have heard they lay kind of seasonally.

6. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    The only bird I can think off that only lays one egg a year is a Penguin. Game chickens Lay more than one egg a year and will hatch more than one clutch also.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  7. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    i believe she meant one clutch a year, but i asked her if it was a pheasant or quail or something like that and she said no it was more like a chicken, I'll be able to see it once they get their coop built and move the chickens to their house. but she made it sound like it was more chicken like then game fowl. and she didnt say seasonally either she made clear it was ONe time a year, which is why i though that it was bull.Like i said before she doesnt know anything about chickens, so it could just be false info someone told her(although i dont know why someone would do that), anyways if anyone else hears anything let me know?
    also whats the diffrence between chickens, game hens, game fowl-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by