Breed? Thrilled about my new babies!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cowgirlup07, Feb 25, 2015.

1. cowgirlup07

cowgirlup07 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    Got these girls (supposed to be all pullets) from TSC this evening. All but 2 are supposed to be Rhode Island Reds, not sure what the 2 little black ones are, they were cute though lol. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    Cant get a real good look as your hand is covering most of the chick. Black Australorp or Black Sex link probably.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Looks like Black Sex Links...although hard to see through your hand.

Australorps would have more white on the chest/tummy.

Lady of McCamley

4. farnorth

farnorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2013
    Upper Michigan
    agreed

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Black Sex-Links to me, too.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

7. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    All the babies! We decided to get 17 more so now there's 36 chicks total that are supposed to be pullets plus our 2 adult roosters outside. The chicks are all comfy and cozy in our house right now until all this cold passes and we can get something built for them. So far we started out with 20, lost 1 and added 17 more. Not too bad for our first year! They are RIR's, New Hampshires and the 2 black sex link chicks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree, and if they are BSLs, they are female as they lack the white spot on top of the head that male BSLs have. Black Sex Links are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. Assuming they are BSLs, you should get loads of eggs from those girls. :eek:)

9. cowgirlup07

Oct 22, 2014
    Comanche, Oklahoma
    Awesome! A lot of the reason we invested in so many was to donate the majority of the eggs to the food bank and needy families so that'll be wonderful! Is there any way to tell what gender my new Hampshires are? I got the Rhodies and BSLs out of the pullet brooder so hopefully we will get lucky on them but the New Hampshires were straight run only and the lady guessed by holding them by their feet upside down, apparently if they relax they are probably female if they curl up then probably male. Not sure how accurate this method is though.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's not a very accurate of determining sex in chicks. There is no way to know their sex for sure at that age, but hopefully you will get more pullets than cockerels. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by