1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed type / housing rooster with hens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Yorkshire lass, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Bonny Scotland
    Good morning and a warm hello

I'm new to BYC and have posted recently. A member kindly suggested posting here as I'm from the UK. Just interested in the breed of chicken Abraham is, adopted him on Saturday from the local SPCA. Someone suggested he might be a Dorking (cross) as he has an extra toe. He also has green irridecent flecks. I assumed that as he has such small spurs that he was young, but of course he does have a large comb?

Please would you confirm whether or not it's ok to house the rooster with the hens ... sorry as probably a silly question ... am new to hen adoption (10 weeks with 6 lovely ex-bat hens). At the moment I am placing him in the nesting area within the Omlet cube house so they are separated at night, but did for the first night wait and see what he did ... he sat on top of the house as to keep guard whilst the hens snuggled in the main compartment.

Many thanks for any replies
    Best wishes, Kirsty

2. Yorkshire lass

Oct 30, 2016
    Bonny Scotland

Sorry, should of course add a photo!! ...
    [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi again, he'll be totally fine with the girls! He's part of the flock (if not considered the leader, by the girls, just yet) so its best for him and girls to be together.

Cheers
    CT

4. Yorkshire lass

Oct 30, 2016
    Bonny Scotland
    Okidoki CT, thanks again [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Most welcome [​IMG]