Breed Type: Redish Brown Body w/ yellowish spot on head...

I'm no expert on chicks, but I'm going to take a guess at rhodebar roo.......and I'm only basing this guess on the fact they look pretty close to the rhodebar chicks I seen a few weeks ago...BUT like I said, I'm no expert, and there seems to be quite a few different types of chickens that resemble each other when they hatch...lol

PS...I've NEVER heard of rhodebar in my life until a few weeks ago...
wink.png

Last edited:
That chicks is not a Rhodebar, Rhodebars are very rare and can't be obtained from a normal hatchery (if you did order from one that is). What hatchery did you get this chick from.
smile.png
Looks more like a Golden Cuckoo Maran to me, here's a picture:

67007_threechicks_005.jpg

Golden cuckoo was my best guess as well... But I dismissed it because it's a chick from a farm supply store. I didn't think they'd actually get any of those for resale. I've raised a GC roo before... I will dig up pics of that chick for comparison. It makes sense tho, cause I kept thinking it looked so familiar! Hmmm... Off to look at pics. :)

Last edited:
I should also add that I have no idea which hatchery the farm store we got this chick from orders chicks from. Maybe I will call them tomorrow... It isn't a store we go to very often, due to distance from home.

Last edited:
At first glance I was thinking Rhodebar roo as well...but I agree that would be very unusual to find at a feed store unless someone had an extra one they took to the store to sell.

It might be a mutt...I've had plenty of those from a feed store.

I agree a call to the store to find out where it came from could help as I don't normally see Gold Cuckoo at feed stores either.

Good luck figuring it out.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I have an update! I figured out which hatchery the store uses, and called the hatchery (Ideal).
The gal asked me to send a photo, and she had some of the employees take a look.
Seems it's a little pullet NORWEGIAN JAERHON. Yay! Fun!!

I have an update! I figured out which hatchery the store uses, and called the hatchery (Ideal).
The gal asked me to send a photo, and she had some of the employees take a look.
Seems it's a little pullet NORWEGIAN JAERHON. Yay! Fun!!
Good for you!
big_smile.png
I was a bit confused before, because you said you got these chicks from a hatchery and then you posted that they were from a farm store.

Last edited:
Sorry to confuse ya, Veer. :) I knew the store ordered chicks from a hatchery, I just wasn't sure which one until today when they confirmed it for me. That's why I called it a "hatchery chick" in my original post. Sorry I confused ya! :)

Back
Top Bottom