Breed variablility of thriftiness

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by columbiacritter, May 17, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I have 3 types of chicks in my brooder all if the same exact age. Playmought rocks, barred rocks and Japanese bantams.

Watching these guys I've been amazed by the difference in the breeds even at a few days old. From the first hour in the brooder the BR's were exploring looking, following the older chicks around. The Plymoths were really less adventurous, more willing to stay around the feeder, but they got around and when I gave snack to the older chicks they were right there to see what was going on.

The Japanese have taken several days to explore the coop and several of them have been more than happy to just stay at one end. The JB's have also not been really searching for food beyond the feeder like the BRs and plymoths. I lost two of them with the first 2 days and I really think it was from just a failure to thrive.

I've taken several steps to make sure the JB's are able to get to food and water easily something I've never felt the need to do with standards or other bantams.

Don't take me wrong, I love my little JBs, but I can really see why people say they are hard to raise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by