Breed viability

Discussion in 'Geese' started by tmorgan46, Mar 22, 2016.

1. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Howdy All!
    Last year we started with two saddle-back Pomeranians, but lost one to an unknown cause. The poultry farm where we bought them had a single white goose going through an identity crisis, being raised around only ducks. So we offered to take the cutie home and introduce him / her to our surviving saddle-back. As time passed we discovered a very protective male Chinese White gander emerge from the replacement goose and the saddle-back is a female. She laid her first egg the other day and is adding almost daily but usually every other day. Any experience out there in BYC land with mixing these two breeds? We don't want to get our hopes up if it's generally not a good idea for these two breeds. And in advance, we're not interested in showing them, or anything else which dictates a solid blood line and we don't eat our birds but that may change if the gander continues to surprise the wife with his nips at her backside!!! :)
    Thanks in advance for any and all comments!!

Troy & Tina

2. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Well since the gander is a white Chinese the babies will all be white but you will most likely get a few geese with brown patches amongst the white feathers.
    I never had a white Chinese cross pomeranian but I did have a Embdenxwhite Chinese cross pomeranian.
    The babies were really nice a bit shy, quite slender.
    Males got very shy as they grew up and didn't like other ganders.
    I had a lot of geese so that would explain it. You should definitely have goslings!

1 person likes this.
  3. tmorgan46

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Thanks so much for your reply! I was hoping it would be along those lines!! You're always very helpful in your posts and I really appreciate it!!

Cheers!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @tmorgan46 Mine are breeding and Missy will be sitting she is Toulouse my gander is Embden I have also slipped a few of my Buff American eggs in Missy's nest. Looking forward to seeing what I get..

5. tmorgan46

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Thanks!! @Miss Lydia We're looking forward to things this spring and seeing how things turn out!! Exciting times to be sure!!!

Hope all is well in your neck of the woods!!

Troy& Tina

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I bet your going to have some Scovy ducklings running around there too? [​IMG]

7. tmorgan46

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    I'm happy to report that everyone, including the new kids are doing fantastic. The drakes are especially happy and the ladies are looking a bit tired... We've got duck eggs running out of our ears right now. We couldn't keep up, so we thought we'd give hatching a try. And with all of them being young still, we are having a tough time getting any of them to go broody. We bought an incubator and put 25 eggs in for the first batch. At the 10 day mark, we culled 4 eggs that didn't look very promising when candled. So, if we loose an egg or two each week we should end up with another 10 or so ducklings. Then I have NO IDEA what we're going to do!!! Hello CraigsList!!! And TSC poultry swaps!! And then on top of it all, Momma Goose decides she needs to start laying as well. I can hardly wait to see what a White Saddle-back Pomerchinesa looks like [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    LoL that will be interesting a White Saddle-back Pomerchinese.

I have 1 almost broody and since I am waiting for Runner eggs she is sitting on 2 of her own and 3 fake eggs. She is only sitting at night so not full blown broody yet.

I have to be very careful and not let mine get carried away because I have a very hard time parting with them.

9. tmorgan46

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    @Miss Lydia , now you've piqued my interest - how long do the girls sit only at night? And does that figure into the overall time for hatching? We have two ducks that are making it a point to lay on a clutch of eggs each night, and the funniest part is that the eggs are being laid in the goose coop!! And Papa Goose is not so keen on those pesky ducks invading his night time lodging!!! So before I begin tossing perfectly good eggs can you point me in the right direction for the overall process of natural hatching? Thanks for any insight or help you can provide.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'll tell you about mine My 2 scovy's have laid 4 eggs so far her and her sister so about 3 nights ago I walked in to put them to bed and Hope was standing over the nest, Well Joy would not go in. So I put Opie my drake and Joy in the other duck house Hope went in late yesterday afternoon and got on her eggs. stayed there all night came out this morning and hasn't gone back in today did the same yesterday. So this is how they start by still laying and sitting at night then one morning you'll go out and they won't come off the nest. That is usually when you know they have committed, Then after they have sat one full day you count 24 hrs later after that full day as day one. Till they make full commitment the eggs won't start cooking. Now Joy who refused to go into Hope stall and the 3 ducks usually sleep together has laid 2 eggs in her new stall, as soon as she makes a commitment Opie will go in his own bedroom.. My goose who is building her clutch has decided to use the duck/chicken coop so Opie will have to have his own bedroom because he scares her p[only when she is by herself] I bet your going to have some broody's soon. My girls do not like to share a nest or space when brooding. I hope I have made sense to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by