Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bush84, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    So I got some chickens from my sister in law. She was sick of chickens so I inherited them for free. She tends to think she knows more than she actually knows. I seem to recall that she said one was an amerucana (sp?), but I'm not to sure. I think she said the black/white one was a mutt but tell me what you think anyways. My best guess is that one is a welsummer, brown leghorn, and mutt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The first is a Brown Leghorn, with those white earlobes. She'll lay white eggs. The second is a Production Red. She'll lay brown eggs. The third looks like an Easter Egger. She might lay blue, green, brown, or cream.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Light Brown Leghorn, Production Red, Easter Egger.

4. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    So a follow up question, is there any way to know what would happen if I bred these chickens to a buff orp? My roosters are buff orps.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    The Easter Egger is a silver-based color, so her chicks would be sexlinked if she is bred to a red/gold-base color rooster. Male chicks would have white/yellow based down, female chicks will have a buff base down. It may be difficult to distinguish the males from females at hatch, though. As they feather in, the males will have their mother's black and white coloring. Females will be more golden/buff.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Junebuggena

7. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Agreed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by