Breed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hayleyrbonini, Apr 18, 2016.

1. hayleyrbonini

hayleyrbonini New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    Portsmouth va
    [​IMG]

Trying to figure out what kind of duck he is, was sold to me at 2 days old as a pekin, deffintly not a pekin.

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    With his teenage feathering it is hard to tell. Maybe a Welsh Harlequin drake. You may have to wait until after his first molt.

3. bondfamily007

bondfamily007 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2016
    TX
    My welshies don't carry their body that way, nor have that much white around the collar. Some kinda runner is my guess.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    My WH used to stand like that a lot when they were younger, not any more. I think the large size of the collar has more to do with it not being to breed standard. I think most breeds that have it are supposed to have a thin, uniform white band, but that's just based on pictures. I don't know all the breed standards by any means.

It could be a Runner but it doesn't seem slender enough to me. Does is walk around upright? If it almost always walking around like that then it would be a Runner. If it is a Runner, it could be a Trout Runner. They have very similar markings to WH.

5. hayleyrbonini

hayleyrbonini New Egg

Apr 13, 2016
    Portsmouth va
    He stands fairly upright but now as upright as our khaki Campbell. He's pretty upright here cause he was kind of excited I had just put him down to clean their enclosure and the other was Calling to him from the cage still.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by