1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lisa920, May 30, 2016.

1. lisa920

lisa920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

Any ideas what breed these chicks are?

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    My first guess was Buff Orpington, but I don't know for sure.

3. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    It really is too early to tell for sure, they are clearly "buff," but they could be Plymouth Rocks or Orpingtons (or leghorns for that matter). Wait until they get a little bigger to look at comb size and body type to be sure, but just based on what is most common I would guess American orps.

4. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Could you get some better pictures? What color are the legs? Buff Orpingtons will have white/pinkish legs while Buff Plymouth Rocks will have yellow. Do they have feathered legs?

5. lisa920

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    Their legs are white-pale without feathers. I was told buff Orpingtons when I bought them but someone seemed to think they aren't, so that's why I've posted them.

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    I think you have Buff Orpingtons then, did the person say why the didn't think they were BOs?

7. littlegreywolf

littlegreywolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Southwest Texas
    Buff Orpingtons! :)

8. WyandotteIndeed

WyandotteIndeed Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    Well, if you got them from a feed store or other local supply then they are certainly not English Orpingtons, but American buff orps are very common and look a lot like a buff rock, just with white/pink legs and skin and a very petite single comb. They also vary in shade quite a bit. Some are very light like popcorn and some are almost as dark as cheddar cheese. Also, when they finally start laying, the orps lay a very light tan/beige egg while the rocks lay a bit more on the actual brown range. I would put money on hatchery stock buff orps. They are going to be very mellow docile birds and should make fine laying hens.

9. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    American Buff Orps

10. lisa920

Mar 30, 2016
    Virginia
    I bought them from a local person that sells chicks, he said he didn't hatch them so I'm not sure where he got them. But here is a better picture
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by