breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cmelancon89, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cmelancon89

cmelancon89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    I got quite a few chickens a few months ago. I was wondering if could give me a guess on the breed. Very tame. The lighter hen is more like a gentle puppy and the darker hen isn't shy about pecking you, especially if you are carrying food. So far the rooster hasn't shown any aggression but he is big and kind of scary, especially since he tends to follow you very closely.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Easter Egger mixes.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Very likely EE mixes. 'Blackbeard' is a striking rooster.

4. cmelancon89

cmelancon89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Thank you. He is very Beautiful and proud. His actual name Dumbledore but I like blackbeard. Do you think he will become aggressive as early gets older? I'm really hoping he doesnt

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He may or he may not. If he does, squelch it at the onset. Don't kick or swing at him as that will only encourage him to fight back. Use subordination - scooping him up in a short handled fishing net, or forcing him to the ground and holding him there until he no longer resists. Good luck with him.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE mixes. Blackbeard's size is intimidating, hope he stays a good boy.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I would suggest that the rooster is showing early signs of aggression if he is following you. At this stage, I would make a point of turning and walking through him at every opportunity. Make him get out of your way and do it regularly... like every day. I never like a male bird following me...he should have other things to do than take an interest in you. In my opinion it is better to prevent it from escalating now rather than wait until you have to start taking more serious action.

He is a very impressive fellow though....it would be a shame to have to make soup of him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by