Breed??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chubbchubb7, Mar 8, 2017.

1. chubbchubb7

chubbchubb7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    We bought 15 of these from a friend. He said they molt then lay a ton of eggs, sometimes twice a day. Then they molt again and lay about half as many. He said he has never kept them after that.
    So does anyone know what breed this is? I figured a hybrid for sure. It [​IMG][/IMG]

2. chubbchubb7

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG]

This one didn't load

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Red sex link hens.

4. chubbchubb7

Apr 19, 2016
    Oooooh!!! I have a black sex link hen but had never seen a red one!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Can't say that any more [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. chubbchubb7

Apr 19, 2016
    Does anyone know how often they molt? And how long they lay well?
    We got them coming out of their molt a couple of weeks ago. They have been on a high protein diet and I am happy with their progress but how long before they lay?
    Also I was told they are dumb, lol but I want them to free range like my others. Is this a bad idea?

7. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017

I don't know anything about them but found a link for you! https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/red-sex-link

It has peoples reviews from here pros and cons etc. Good luck with the new crew!

8. chubbchubb7

Apr 19, 2016
    I read those but there's not much info on how often they molt, what to do after the second year (eat them or what?) etc.
    Thanks tho! [​IMG]

9. Hufflefluff

Hufflefluff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2015
    Hiya! We have a red sex link hen and she is hands down our favorite chicken. We've had ours two years now and the only time she stopped laying was November through January of last year, other than we've gotten sic ish eggs a week from her. Obviously molting relies heavily on where you are and how much light you get year round, but if these girls just molted then they shouldn't again until late fall, if then. As for how long they lay, I'd guess they'll only lay reliably for you for maybe this season and the next. Afterwards, you can process them, but they're generally considered to give fairly tough, lean meat, especially at that age. That would be something to research, though, if you decide to do that; I'm sure they'll taste fine, but I wouldn't expect nearly as much meat on the carcass as an explicitly dual purpose breed.
    As for free ranging, that shouldn't be a problem at all! Sex links often get a bad reputation for intelligence and temperament, but a lot of that is the conditions they're generally kept in. We've encountered 0 problems with free ranging sex links, and in my experience they've been even quicker and more alert than most of my other breeds. Make an executive decision based on your specific conditions, but I don't see a problem with it :)
    Hope this helps!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Red Sex-links.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by