Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaylafaith8, Mar 25, 2017.

1. kaylafaith8

kaylafaith8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    Can anyone help me attempt to figure out what this chick is? I got it at TSC and it was the last one of I a breed (was stuffed in with Sex Links)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ^ it's the chick under the black chick

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Pretty young to be sure, I would guess Speckled Sussex.

3. kaylafaith8

kaylafaith8 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    @QueenMisha thanks for the reply! It's very fluffy so maybe an Easter Egger or EE bantam? The store also had bantams and EE before I came (they were out), so maybe it could be one of those? I would hope it's a speckled Sussex since I do it own any and it would be a change for my flock [​IMG]

4. QueenMisha

I doubt EE - legs are nice and yellow, no sign of green/slate, and I can't see it well but I'm thinking it has a single comb. My mind also said maybe some form of Production Red, but I'm seeing too much pattern for that to be right.

5. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    I am pretty sure that this chick is a Rhode Island Red. Tractor Supply is known for selling this breed, and other 'production' breeds like this that are great at producing eggs or meat. I have never seen Sussex sold there. As QueenMisha said, the legs are very yellow and Rhode Island Reds have very yellow legs, while Sussex have pinkish-white colored legs, and if it was a Sussex I think that it should have had some white and black on the wing feathers, but you never know. We have a Speckled Sussex pullet named Edith. I am also pretty sure that Production Red chicks should be lighter in color, though I could be wrong on that. I hope you have good luck with this little cutie.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  6. QueenMisha

Sussex chicks can have quite yellow legs - they usually lighten up to pink as they mature.

7. masterhatcher

masterhatcher Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    [​IMG][/IMG]D
    Does anyone know what breed this rooster is?

8. masterhatcher

masterhatcher Just Hatched

Mar 25, 2017
    [​IMG]

9. QueenMisha

Mixed breed, possibly with Wyandotte influence.

10. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Maybe post another picture again in a few weeks when the feather pattern comes in more and I will have a better guess on Red/Sussex/?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by